Dee.
Dee. asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 8 years ago

Is it Safe to travel across London alone at 4am?

I'm moving to London on Sunday for university. It will obviously be freshers week and there's lots of things going on at clubs like fabric and ministry of sound that I really want to go to. The thing is, my halls are in Wembley, and to get home from the events I'd have to get about 4 buses at around 3/4am and it would take just over an hour. If I was at home (I live in another relatively big city) I'd have no problem with coming home this late alone, but I'll have only been living in London for a few days by this point so I won't feel as comfortable.

I have some family in Chelsea who I might be able to stay with. but I don't know if they'd appreciate me stumbling in at that hour, all my friends who live in London now are moving away for uni and I won't know anyone from my uni well enough to ask to stay at theirs, so I don't know what else to do. Will I be okay travelling by myself? Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Yes, it will be fairly safe.

The biggest threat you may face is unlicensed minicabs - thses are illegal and sex offenders have been known to pose as minicabs to assault (and worse) lone, drunk women.

You may be better off getting together with friends and getting a black cab, rather than the night buses - it will be a lot quicker.

You'll be fine and you'll figure it out. I did at your age in 1988 and survived. Just don't get too wasted, have your way home figured out (someone else gave you a night bus number), and be aware of your surroundings and what the people who are around you are doing. Look like you know where you're going, even if you don't.

Yes there will be sketchy people hanging around but there will also be lots of people like you getting home from a fun night out.

Be careful and have fun.

And if you are really worried, call up that part of the family in Chelsea in advance, be honest and tell them you have a funny favor to ask-that you'll be out partying and want to come there to crash at 4am and would they mind if you're quiet when you're stumbling around.

Around 4am you should be ok, just stay in areas with lots of lights and people, its pretty much safe though. London is not as bad as people think, try walking in NY or South Africa that time and see the diffrence!

Night buses (it will only be one from central London to Wembley, the N18) are relatively okay.

If there is any trouble it usually occurs on the upper deck, so sit downstairs near the driver

www.tfl.gov.uk

Telephone 0843 222 1234

• payson

London is secure, even with what you have gotten heard. basic experience is the factor to apply, stay with human beings all of the time, do no longer bypass out, different than clubbing, after11:30 pm. crucial London has its problems, the final vacationer would not would desire to work out them. stay secure and experience your stay.

I'd say as long as you see other people

Ya'll didn't see the riots on TV?