1999 Ford Taurus Sway Bar. Fix?

I recently took my 99 Ford Taurus in for repairs after the brake lines broke. They were replaced without issue, but the mechanic indicated that my sway bar link was rusted through.

I fancy myself pretty knowledgeable with the basics of car care, but I’m not at all familiar with the “sway bar”. I instructed him to just fix the brake lines and I would get back to him on the rest.

My question is a series: 1.) What is the sway bar? 2.) Is this something that is vital to the car functioning properly? Obviously it does SOMETHING, but is this the type of repair that can wait, or is it something that needs to be fixed right away (note: he indicated that it is rusted through and should be replaced, but said that it was NOT broken)? 3.) Assuming it need to be fixed/replaced: how much money are we talking? Obviously labor costs are going to vary, but a rough estimate of the parts price and about how long it takes or how involved it is would help.

Favorite Answer

The sway bar (also called a stabilizer bar) is very important to prevent roll overs in turns. The harder you turn, the more the sway bar puts downward pressure on the wheel that has the least weight on it. The sway bar is connected to the bottom of the strut with an end link. First they rust through, then they break. If it breaks at the bottom pivot, it won't do much damage. But if it breaks at the top pivot, the end link can move up and down and tear up the CV joint and damage the strut.

This is a $35 part. They're a bearcat to remove IF you're going to re-use it. But when replacing, the mechanic should just cut off the old one and slap on the new one. Shouldn't take more than 1 hour to do both sides.

I wouldn't put this off. I've seen too many of them break and tear up other really expensive components.

Hi,

It is actually an Anti Sway Bar, it keeps the car from in laymans terms from swaying or leaning or rolling the front over when turning or nose diving one side when turning.

If you brake a link on one side it will pull on that side whe turning in the direction of the link and will dip down when turning away from the link.

Go to the auto parts store and get a set of links(could be 20 bucks or less for the front) not sure if you have a rear bar on it.

Look at the links, turn your front wheels one way or the other all the way and you will see the links attatched to the Anti Sway Bar.

• WB

The sway bar reduces sway when going around a corner. Without it, you will have less control. Check with a local parts store. The last time I bought some, they were about $20-30. Go to "repairpal.com", to get a free estimate of parts and labor in your area.

• Pamela

Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable are essentially the same car, different trim. If you get the 6 it's not a bad car. You get about 10 years out of them.

Lots of great opinions already for this