legal question car crash?

my parter had a a car crash a week ago. the other persons insurance has admitted it was their clients fault. and have sent us a check for final payment but we had not argread to any form of money. and we need to claim personal injury. so are insurances allowed to send out this letter and check without informing you frist.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if you're in the US or the UK.

The UK answer for you is this ...

You can accept the payment for your car on a WITHOUT PREJUDICE BASIS. This means that you are accepting the amount temporarily but not in full and final settlement. This also means that you are not prejudicing your position when it comes to your PI claim. It also gives you free reign to dispute the amount that they have given you for your car (should you so wish to). With regards to PI, I suggest you speak with your solicitor. The insurers should be dealing via your solicitors anyway, not direct with you. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Knowledge of Motor Insurance Law and RTA
  • They can do whatever they want. If you do have personal injury, you should not accept the check without checking first with you own insurance. You must report this to them, and they handle the details, including any lawsuit.

Do not cash the check. I believe the insurance company suspects you are injured and don't want to pay you. Also, in all probability the one who caused the accident has had wrecks before and their insurance company is trying to cut losses. And the insurance company is a slime bucket company.