Engagement Party, yes or no?

Me and my fiance have been engaged since July 2010 and we just picked a wedding date for Oct 2012. I was wondering when should we have an engagement party, or if we should even have one at all?

Advice appreciated! Thanks

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't have one in your situation, I didn't even have one in my situation. We were already living together for about a year and we had everything we could possibly want or need. Plus I don't like anyone to make a fuss over me, I think since it took a bit of time to pick a date, that ship has sailed. I am sure by now everyone you both know knows that you two are engaged. I say no to the engagement party.

WAYYYYY too late for that!!!! You should've had that party in July 2010. If you have a party now, it would be lame and fake--even I wouldn't go.

Doesn't matter if your wedding is in 2012 or in 3983; an engagement party is to celebrate your engagement. Now that your engagement is more than 1 year old, your engagement is old news.

Besides, usually someone other than the engaged couple hosts the party.

Just don't have one, okay?

• Alison

No, you have been engaged for quite a while so it would be odd to have an engagement announcement at this point.

Any "party" held to announce an engagement it typically held by the parents of the betrothed to let the other members of their social circle hear the news formally from them so no rumors circulate that could harm their social standing when the engaged couple is seen together "too often" for proper society.

Simply put if you are not part of the aristocracy with parents who are seeing to this there should be no "engagement party."

Source(s): wedding coordinator
  • Madoka

It depends on whether or not everyone already knows you are engaged. It took you a year to choose a date, so technically you were not engaged for that year. But if you've been wearing a ring and referring to your partner as your "fiance" for a year then no, you can't have an engagement party. An engagement party needs to happen within a few weeks of your announcement that you're engaged.

No. It's much to late. Engagement parties should be hosted by parents and they are to formally announce the engagement and a time for family to meet and celebrate together.

• ?

No, not at this point. You have been engaged for quite some time. I didn't have one, because my family/friends didn't offer to throw us one...been engaged since april 2010. My fiance' did suprise me emmediatly after he proposed with a gathering of most of our friends, but it was a kinda/sorta engagement party..not a real one. But I do look forward to hopefully a bridal shower..etc. I'm gettin married 2012 too..yeee! Congrats.

• ?

i would say not, you've been engaged for well over a year now. instead of putting time, money and effort into an engagement party, focus on your wedding sweetie. its only a year away and you've lots to do! wishing you a perfect wedding and a happy life.

an engagement party is usually held reasonably soon after the event - within a few months .

probably a bit late now to hold one

Source(s): LIFE

No engagement party...but you could have a bridal party closer to the date of your wedding: )

You can have an engagement party but do have it ASAP!!!! get registered and invite all the people you would invite to your wedding. Good Luck and congratulations.