How do I sew a plain red flag?

I already have the material, and it's not complicated. I've got a red square of material, and I need to know how to make it a flag, and how to sew it so it'll go on a flagpole. It's for my friend's birthday.

Favorite Answer

1. Measure and mark two same size fabric panels in a size equal to the desired size of your yard flag, plus 1 inch on all four sides. Add an additional 2 inches to the top of one of the fabric panels. The extra inches are for seam allowances and for the pocket hanger allowance.

2. Cut out the two fabric panels on the marked lines. Place the panels face to face and pin the two sides and the bottom of the flag, 1 inch from the edge. Leave the top edge open.

3. Stitch the three pinned seams together along the pinned lines. Remove the pins as you go. Leave the top open.

4. Iron the seams open around the perimeter of the fabric panels. Reverse the fabric panels through the top opening.

5. Fold and pin the edge of the longest flag panel ½ inch. Iron the fold flat and remove the pins.

6. Cut a piece of fusible tape equal to the width of the top of the yard flag. Attach the rough side of the fusible tape along the 1/2-inch ironed seam of the longest panel. Remove the paper backing and fold the long flap over onto the front of the shortest fabric panel. The fold should create a pocket along the top edge. Iron the seam along the fusible tape, pressing each section for 10 to 15 seconds.

7. Slide the top pocket over your flag hanger.

Cut it to a few inches bigger than the right size and hem the edges. The edge that goes next to the flagpole needs grommets put in at the top and the bottom, or you have to attach loops, so you can clip the flag onto the rope on the flagpole. Loops would be easier, because you can just sew some strong string or light rope into the hem to make loops. I would also make sure the corners where the loops go are stronger than the other corners, by sewing some extra fabric into those corners. Those two corners will get the most wear since they are holding the flag up.

• squidy

You need to do this on two corners: http://www.flagguys.com/img/grommet3.jpg (You can probably find ones yo can pop in by hand.)

And then for the rest of the hem I would just fold it over twice and sew it down. Iron it in place before you sew it so the edges stay uniform.

• MARK

Go down to your local fire department, have them take their flag down for you to take a look at and see what you will need to do and how to do it. If you live in a small town, those guys don't have that much to do. It would be simple enough, I just don't know how to sew.