Simone_51010 asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Cat acting sluggish, standoffish, and skittish after vaccinations yesterday?

My one year and four month cat had her annual vaccination yesterday. She received a FELV-K+CAL shot and a three year rabies. Yesterday after her vet appointment, she slept a lot and did not eat, but did drink and use the litter box. She had been up most of the night before playing. She was nervous on the way to the vet but was not meowing a lot on the way to and from there.

Today she has been sleeping, laying around a lot, and seems sluggish. She also has been a little standoffish. She did eat some and is drinking. This morning I did see that she did urinate in her litter box when I went to sift it.

Is this normal? Why does this happen? Should I be worried? Thanks for your help.

She is indoors and we have no other cats. I just got the card from the vet and said it was that time again for a exam and the shots. My vet told me that the one shot that is not the rabies is a combo and it covers everything. I am now worried that it was given to her because now I am seeing on other posts of yahoo answers that the FELV-K+CAL shot can cause cancer. My vet did say this shot would be annual.

Favorite Answer

Some shots side effect is being sluggish for a few hours afterward. Some can go on for a day or two. One shot that someone's cat got was lazy for 2 days but would eat, drink, and use the litter pan. That brand wasn't used again. I can not find info on this shot you posted about though.

Ignore this part from Cat Lover "If your cat is indoor only, and not at risk for feline leukemia or feline AIDS due to exposure to another cat, then there is really no need for that vaccine."

That is a lie. Cats can get FeLV just by being born. It's not just those who are outside or due to exposure. They can get it from an infected mother (before being born or nursing), sharing litter pans and food/water dishes. Something all cats have been through.

EDIT: FeLV shots are annually IF the cat is at high risk. It sounds like yours is at low risk though. So I am unsure why the vet is saying annually. Call other vets in town and some from other towns and ask their opinions on the FeLV being annually. FeLV shots can cause depression which may explain your cat's behavior.

http://www.liveoakah.com/site/view/163252_KittenCa...

Types of Cat Vaccines And Recommendations/Comments;

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1385&a... <-------- First chart is dogs, second is cats. Extra info; The ringworm shot I am unsure of. It's efficacy is low and your cat is at low risk for it also. But other animals (mice slipping in for ex.) or you could drag it in from anywhere since it is air born (even with no symptoms). What if your cat gets it? Myosan or Lime Sulfur. If you can get Myosan it would be better since it doesn't smell like rotten eggs. It's applied daily and costs around $20 and you'd have leftover.

A rabies shot really can knock a cat for a loop. But I wonder what the reason for the FeLV-K+CAL vaccine.? The FeLV-k is for a vaccine for a disease that, unless your cat is at risk, really doesn't need.

If your cat is indoor only, and not at risk for feline leukemia or feline AIDS due to exposure to another cat, then there is really no need for that vaccine.

Most cats do fine with just getting the FVRCP vaccine against a family of respiratory viruses, and then the rabies, if required by law.

And yes, there are some vet practices that push every single vaccine possible.

After the rabies vaccination, she may be feeling low for a couple of days.

Well she's still drinking and urinating so right now I wouldn't be too worried. Shots, especially if it's more than one and she's still a young cat, make them go kinda weird for a day or two and then they're fine. I'm not an expert or anything but when my cat had his shots he acted strange too, so this is probably normal. However if she's still like this after more than about four days then take her back to the vet:) Hope I helped

While I can't say for sure because I have no formal animal training, I imagine they can be like us...... after I get a flu shot my arm is freakin sore! I've heard that people's animals sometimes throw up after shots. Babies get fevers and are super fussy after they get shots. I would say as long as she's eating and drinking and urinating normally I wouldn't worry too much. However, if it persists or you have the gut feeling she needs to be seen, call your vet. Can't hurt to check. Good luck!