witch one is faster a stick or an automatic?

im thinking about getting an automatic 67 camaro ss or a 67 camaro ss with a stick but i dont now i want it to to give me that little push.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In my personal opinion I think that the manual witch is faster but then again an automatic witch will be easier to control.

• 9 years ago

In any car, with a good driver, the stick will be quicker than auto. Reason being, they transfer power more efficiently. The clutch and gear shafts combined with the rear axle of a manual only draw about 15% of the engines power (or about 45hp from a 300hp engine), while the torque converter, clutch packs, bands, shafts of an automatic plus the rear axle accounts for about a 20% loss (or about 60hp from a 300hp engine).

From a stop, again, a good driver in a stick car will get away MUCH faster than a stock auto. Reason for it is you can't rev the engine above about 1100rpm with a stock torque converter in an auto, even though peak torque isn't until after 3500rpm. With a manual, you can rev it to 3500rpm to take off and get much quicker acceleration. Also, someone who is very good at shifting can shift faster than a typical automatic.

The automatic has two big advantages though. First, if you plan on bracket racing (drag racing) the car, the automatic will be more consistent, making it easier to win. Second, if you plan on big power, you can build an auto to hold a LOT more power, and make better use of it.

• C7S
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Stick.

The 67 Camaro stick had more gears, which means a higher top speed and quicker acceleration.

Stick Shift(Manual) Transmissions are also lighter, cheaper, and more reliable because it has less moving parts. Since they are lighter, they help the car even more with handling and acceleration.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well I say stick ' because if u know how to quick shift u can be faster than any automatic transmission

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you'rs gonna take it to the drag strip go with automatic

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Auto the shifts are faster and the acceleration is continus

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Stick bt if gona race get yo gears down pack bc if u mis a gear thats yo ***

• it depends on the driver.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.