I cannot boot my computer, and I need help. Can you help me?

I have a Compaq comp that I tried to reboot, using a windows XP CD. However , even with this cd, I cann't activate this CD info without activating online. I cannot even boot the computer now. Can anyone give me any constructive information, as to how I can get to the desktop. Thank you in advance.

• DrDave
    Favorite Answer

Your first step is to learn what reboot means. It simply means to turn the device off and back on. To INSTALL an operating system, put the disk in the drive and reboot (turn off the pc and back on) and when it says press a key to boot to CD, press a key and follow the instructions. If it doesn't boot from the cd, your bios boot order needs to be set to boot first to a cd or your cd drive isn't working.

If you mean the computer does not turn on, hold the power button in for about ten seconds and then try to reboot. If it boot again make sure BIOS is set as CD for the first boot, then insert the Windows XP CD, when it boots up, choose repair and fix the hard drive boot sector.

Window screen choose R for repair

Next screen push 1 and then enter

Command prompt type: fixmbr, press enter, then yes

next screen prompt type: fixboot, press enter, answer yes

next screen type: exit

The computer will reboot, make sure the CD is not in the CD Drive. This only fixes the boot sector of the hard drive, it does not touch the operating system. I hope this will help.