Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

What are the chances of the Rays actually catching the Red Sox?

Two factors to consider: One, the Red Sox pitching has fallen apart. Two: The Rays are playing excellent overall baseball. Will this trend continue? To date the Rays are only 3 1/2 games out of the wild card. Your thoughts.

Favorite Answer

As much as I'm concerned about the Yankees, I am totally shocked at the apparent collapse of the Red Sox pitching. Frankly either the Yankees nor the Red Sox are playing well. The Rays are on a mission. As a Yankee fan I would clearly like to see the Rays catch and pass the Red Sox. 3.5 games to overcome is not impossible even though the season is quickly coming to an end.

Right now the Yankees have the edge only because the season is almost over. I've always felt that the Yankees were better than the Red Sox even though most thought differently. I think the Rays are better than the Red Sox as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope the Rays make the wild card.

With about 4 head to head games remaining with the red sox the rays should be able to catch up. the rays have swept the red sox and their opnly weapon: Lester. plus shileds is doing great perhaps the best as he did all year. The Red sox not only lead tampa by only 3.5 but they also trail New York by 3.5. And with a red hot Tampa... i think the season will be over for the red sox before october comes. Tampa is just too hot and the red sox are just too cold with their injuries and losing streak and all. this is the 4TH series they lost in a ROW. That is just bad.

• eno

there's a gamble, yet i does not carry my breath. For one element, it is going to likely be quite complicated for the purple Sox to brush the Rays. Tampa is an quite solid team this 365 days. for yet another, whether the Rays do fall, the Chicago White Sox are good there in the race. The Rays would desire to theoretically circulate on a brilliant dropping streak, yet Chicago might properly win the Wild Card over Boston whether that does take place. The White Sox are on a tear at present - they have gained 7 in a row (alongside with a sweep over Boston). Baseball Prospectus supplies the purple Sox some 3.4% hazard of prevailing the Wild Card. That sounds approximately good. don't experience undesirable, nonetheless - your team has had its share of glory at present. no one can take the 2004 or 2007 titles far off from you.

The chances are very good. The Rays are playing .750 ball since August 1. Their starters are dominant.

The Sox are lost w/o Youkilis and the Rays just tore up Lester today.

Next weekend will decide it.

If the Red Sox keep getting injured and the Rays use their arsenal of pitchers to their advantage, the Rays are going to the playoffs.

It really is hard to say. It is possible. It seems like the injuries are starting to catch up to the Red Sox. It will probably go down to the last few games of the season.

I still think the Yankees and Red Sox will both make the playoffs. I don't think the Rays will make the playoffs, but so far they're proving me right when I said the Rays will make it interesting, they will make fans in New York and Boston nervous.

It is possible, but it depends on the rays playing very well an the sox not. Injuries will play a role in this as well.

How cool would that be to see the Beantowners get knocked out of the playoffs. Remember, the Red Sox are only 4 years into their next 86 year drought.