Going, "off the grid?" Possibly, "on the lamb?"?

You always see movies and books about guys going out in to the woods for a couple years. Well, i'm 18 about to join the Navy, but I don't want to be lame and un-original, so I was thinking about running off for only a month or two. Any insight or information on legality?

• Jeremy
    Favorite Answer

I thought I was the only idiot thinking this. Lol

We have islands in the middle of the river which would be ok. I think those are about as unclamied as possible. The trick would be finding food. You can bring food but I don't know how much you want to rough it.

And hunting? You don't need a license if they don't catch you. Same with tresspassing. If you find a large enough area where no one will find you, who cares. There's homeless people living many places in woods, usually next to railroad tracks. No one checks their even though its private property.

Like I said the key is food. You can collect water and store it when it rains but food is a little different. Good luck on your endeavour you got more balls then me

The problem is finding a place where you can 'legally' stay without trespassing on private property or breaking local, state or federal laws. CAN it be done? Probably. But if you get caught, you most likely will be prosecuted, because there really are no unclaimed 'public' lands. And to feed yourself, you would need to hunt - which requires licenses, firearms (or other weapons) and is illegal in most places if the season is not correct. The day of the independent, off the grid 'mountain man' who can live off the land simply does not exist anymore in the US.