Is it actually dangerous to take a shower during a thunderstorm ?

If this question is to vague for you : in a home. not in a lake or any of that outdoors stuff.

Favorite Answer

The chances of getting shocked or electrocuted while taking a shower is low.

Older homes use copper or metal pipes for the plumbing. Metal and copper make great conductors of electricity. If a lightning strike should hit a house with metal pipes, the chance is there but still low. There are far too many other things to strike. Lightning is a static electric discharge that tries to find the path of least resistance to ground. A metal pipe going through a wall does not offer a least resistant path to ground so it isn't the path.

Newer homes use plastic pvc pipes for plumbing. Plastic is not a conductor of electricity, thus if lightning should strike a home with plastic pipes, the chance of getting shocked or electrocuted is very low.

Source(s): Storm spotter/chaser
  • eno

If thunder or lightning hits the domicile , the skill is going out , etc , there in all probability is.I propose not getting showered for the duration of a thunderstorm.however the thunder/lightning won't straight away hit you , there would desire to be an eletric rod on the staggering of your place that asorbs any lightning / thunder that hits everywhere close to the domicile.yet I repeat , I propose not getting showered for the duration of a thunderstorm. Edit : do not enable any water run on your place till the thunderstorm passes. yet another Edit : additionally do not touch any eletric applicants , electric wires , retailers , etc , for the time of the thunderstorm.it quite is quite risky to the touch those issues for the time of the thunderstorm.

Yes! If lightning strikes your house or even near your house, metal pipes and your tap water are excellent electricity conductors.

There was a story of a woman doing the dishes at her house during a thunderstorm, and the lightning traveled through the pipes and she was struck by lightning. She survived, but went to the hospital.

It's the same reason why you shouldn't talk on the phone (land-line) during a storm.

PS - the chance of getting struck by lightning is low anyway, but you don't necessarily want to be standing outside during a thunderstorm. I'm sure lots of people take showers during a storm and aren't affected by it, but I don't want to take that chance. I have copper piping in my house.

Yes, you can be hurt or killed. At least two people have been seriously shocked by lightning in our area this year. One still has brain problems from it. The electricity flows right through the water and metal piping, just like a copper wire.

heck yeah it is.If you hear &see lightning& thunder

No, I do quite often