I hate my school and want to do homeschooling, but both of my parents work? Help!?

Both of my parents work, and are not able to homeschool me. I want to do online now, but they still think that they would have to be here for me. I don't like my school, teachers, or the people there. It's also really dirty, you find ants everywhere! Even while you are trying to eat! It is supposedly the best school where I live, but I doubt it. I'm a pretty smart girl, all honors except for science, but that was for my teacher last year. And this year I'm a little confused :/ I want to have more time with my horse, but if I get a tutor I'll have even less time with him! I am a hunter jumper. I am planning to be an "A" show barn trainer and want to go to college. Also, I don't like being in large, crowded, loud places, it stresses me out a lot! I'm not trying to get away from all of that kinda stuff. I just don't think public school is right for me, my parents wont let me go to a private school either. Can I have a few tips on how I could explain to my parents that I get stressed out over everything in my school, it depresses me, I don't think its right, I try my hardest it's just not working out, I need more time with my horse(I am pretty serious about it) and I can't get a tutor? I'm in 7th grade if that's helpful.

I live in Tennessee if that helps too!

Favorite Answer

Hey carrie,

Im glad to hear your taking interest in homeschooling! I've only been home-schooled for a few months now. But those months have been some of the best months of my life! But it wasn't easy to get here.

It took my 2 years to convince my parents to home school me! Though they werent both working so your situation is different, but heres what I suggest,

- DONT Give up, you may feel like your going no-where with this, but keep telling them the positives of homeschooling and they will start taking intrest!

- DONT Force them, make it known how serious you are about it but dont force them, that will push them away.

Im sure one of your parents or both can adjust their hours to fit your needs if they feel its necessary.

It took me 2 long years to be homeschooled but It was all worthit!

whatever your situation, there your parents, and once there confident about the home schooling,

they will do anything to suit your needs!

GOOD LUCK!

Source(s): Homeschooled teen.
  • James

2

Your parents don't have to be home for you to be homeschooled. However, there is something very important every other answer has ignored: Your age. You are 12, right? That's the typical age of a 7th grader. Sorry, there is no way I'd leave my 7th grader alone to do school online from 8 until 5pm. There's a reason 12 is considered too young for Y!A. If you really want to do this, then figure out how you'll get out of the house to get to the stables. I'm assuming there's no bus that runs out there. You're too young to ride your bike an hour or more to get to the stables. Maybe you have a relative who can help, like your grandparents or an aunt. Forget telling your parents you need more time with your horse. That just shows the horse is more important than studying, as it would be for almost every 7th grader. Good luck. You need to start to think things through like an adult if you want your parents to treat you like one.

Looks like you'll need to do the research, since it looks like your parents won't.

Homeschool isn't anything like it used to be. Even 20 years ago it looked tremendously different. A parent usually WOULD have to come up with a curriculum and set of lesson plans. Today there's a HUGE variety of materials to choose from in addition to making up your own; and there's so much available online as well.

Homeschooling little kids is way different than homeschooling teenagers. I know teens who have chosen to continue homeschooling, those who chose private school and those who are in public. In almost all of those cases, the parents are looking at stepping back and letting the kid take charge; after all, it's only a few more years and they'll be heading off to college. If you're still hovering over the kid and saying, "Ok, honey, get out your math book. Now what page are you on? Now what number? Did you sharpen your pencil, dear?" then there's a problem. If the kid isn't mature enough to handle it and needs a babysitter, perhaps you need to have a formal school setting. If the kid is motivated to do well, the parents' job moves from a direct teacher role to that of a coach or facilitator.

www.wagnerweb.org/Homeschool_101

Hi,

In answer to your question, I hate my school and want to do homeschooling, but both of my parents work? Help!?, I say you that this site http://homeschoolingfaqs.com/ might help you in your situation

As you described; "Both of my parents work, and are not able to homeschool me. I want to do online now, but they still think that they would have to be here for me. I don't like my school, teachers, or the people there. It's also really dirty, you find ants everywhere! Even while you are trying to eat! It is supposedly the best school where I live, but I doubt it. I'm a pretty smart girl, all honors except for science, but that was for my teacher last year. And this year I'm a little confused :/ I want to have more time with my horse, but if I get a tutor I'll have even less time with him! I am a hunter jumper. I am planning to be an "A" show barn trainer and want to go to college. Also, I don't like being in large, crowded, loud places, it stresses me out a lot! I'm not trying to get away from all of that kinda stuff. I just don't think public school is right for me, my parents wont let me go to a private school either. Can I have a few tips on how I could explain to my parents that I get stressed out over everything in my school, it depresses me, I don't think its right, I try my hardest it's just not working out, I need more time with my horse(I am pretty serious about it) and I can't get a tutor? I'm in 7th grade if that's helpful. Both of my parents work, and are not able to homeschool me. I want to do online now, but they still think that they would have to be here for me. I don't like my school, teachers, or the people there. It's also really dirty, you find ants everywhere! Even while you are trying to eat! It is supposedly the best school where I live, but I doubt it. I'm a pretty smart girl, all honors except for science, but that was for my teacher last year. And this year I'm a little confused :/ I want to have more time with my horse, but if I get a tutor I'll have even less time with him! I am a hunter jumper. I am planning to be an "A" show barn trainer and want to go to college. Also, I don't like being in large, crowded, loud places, it stresses me out a lot! I'm not trying to get away from all of that kinda stuff. I just don't think public school is right for me, my parents wont let me go to a private school either. Can I have a few tips on how I could explain to my parents that I get stressed out over everything in my school, it depresses me, I don't think its right, I try my hardest it's just not working out, I need more time with my horse(I am pretty serious about it) and I can't get a tutor? I'm in 7th grade if that's helpful." I HOPE it might HELP you.

Best of Luck :)

I am a home school teacher and mother who has taught my son for 2 years. I would never put my son in public school again due to so many distractions and my education philosophy. I really feel for you and wish you could be home schooled. You would make an excellent home school student since you are an honors student and seem to have your priorities planned. If you live in Georgia ask your parents to check www.k12.com/gca. This is a FREE online school you can attend without your parents being at home. If you are responsible to do your studies online at home during the day you can do the home schooling. All your parents would have to do is just check your online progress and answer teacher emails as needed when they come home from work.

Source(s): www.k12.com/gca

I'm in 9th grade and I just started online homeschool, I love it! I'm in all Honors classes. Your parents don't

have to be home for this. You can find some good online home schools at k12.org. Just explain to your parent about it :) hope I helped good luck!