Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 9 years ago

How much does weightlifting help swim times?

I've been lifting all summer, and I haven't gotten that much bigger, so I'm still as streamlined, but I've gotten a LOT stronger. I've also hopped in the pool from time to time, and kept my form. Will the added strength make a noticeable difference, like a second or two in a 100 freestyle?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No one can accurately determine the effect of lifting on, specifically, you as no one has monitored how you lifted. However, there is no doubt that lifting is an absolutely essential part of swimming faster. Can you improve a second or two? Again ... if you were doing 1:10 in the 100 I'd expect that you'd improve TEN seconds. But, if you are already going 48, then a two second drop is unlikely.

As a coach with about 30 years experience, including coaching swimming in the NCAA, I'd highly suggest that you continue to lift. If you're not doing circuit training, I'd suggest that you initiate it as your main kind of lifting.

The best kind of lifting for sports is what is called "circuit training (CT)". While CT, you do a single kind of lift at one location. That location is called a STATION. One circuit is a series of 20 to 24 stations. During a workout, you should do 2 to 3 circuits. You spend about 30 seconds at a station and then move to and adjust the weight at the next station during the next 30 seconds. So, one circuit takes about 20 to 24 minutes to complete.

With regard to your weight lifting, be certain to use excellent form. Lift a medium heavy weight quickly (fast twitch fibers - look 'fast twitch fibers' up on google) ALWAYS keeping the weight under control.

Free weights (barbells) improve your body shape better than machines but despite being less desirable, using machines is OK to do. Do circuit training (CT). Always maintain excellent form, as you'll then avoid injury. Work both sides of the joint (if you do bicep exercise you MUST also do triceps exercises). Work the full distance the joint can move (called 'range of motion'). Circuit train 3 days per week. Start off with LIGHT WEIGHTS to avoid soreness. Be certain, before you lift, to warm-up with calisthenics until you break a sweat. Stretch before you lift and after you lift.

Two lifts that must be included are squats and lunges as they build core strength and core strength is of paramount importance to all sports.

After lifting for several weeks, use one day every other week to do “burn-outs”. In burn-out lifting, you lift a medium heavy weight as many times as you can with a buddy spotting. Lift the medium heavy weight until you cannot lift the weight by yourself anymore. If the weight is heavy enough, you should reach this point after 15 - 20 repetitions. Then, your buddy helps you LIFT the weight and you let it down. The buddy spots you (spotting is very important) so the weight does not fall. When you cannot even hold the weight to let it down, your muscles are “BURNED OUT” or at what is called FAILURE.

Burn-outs are a great way to gain muscle mass and strength. But, only do them once per week. It is VERY painful. YOU MUST STRETCH after you lift.

In the water, pay close attention (and ask your coach for extra help) to instructions your coach provides regarding stroke mechanics. The #ONE way to improve in the water is to develop better stroke. Michael Phelps, and all swimmers at his level of competition, work on stroke every day.

Contrary to "Dubix's" reply, you cannot increase your lung capacity as that is determined by genetics. When, however, you improve your conditioning, you grow more capillaries in your lungs and your lungs become better/more efficient at exchanging gases. In addition, running DOES NOT IMPROVE your swimming. Running is simply an alternative to swimming everyday ... it breaks up what could be the monotony of what we call "chasing the black line". There are NO GREAT SWIMMERS that run. The only swimmers that run are those who are not great and the coach has them run just for fun.

• 4 years ago

Weight Lifting For Swimmers

• 4 years ago

Abs.. Abs.. and Abs .. wager what that results in.. NO ABS.. seem. swimming daily is powerful. do that. Monday- Chest and Swim Tuesday- Back and Swim Wednesday- Shoulders and Swim Thursday- Legs and Swim Friday- Triceps and Biceps and Swim Saturday- Abs and Swim Sunday- Rest. You best exercise a mucle institution certainly as soon as per week.. or it simply rips rips rips and doesent fix itself.. and if you happen to dont get your protien its only a waste of time. see while your operating chest your doing- Triceps, Deltoids and your Pecs.. however quite often your %. so its great.. cuz Deltoids ( shoulders) and Triceps get a minimum exercise and must be great for particular coaching.. for this reason the title Specificity.. check out that.. youll get ultimate outcome.. three months TOPS.. BUT WAIT: SLEEP and EAT RIGHT.. with out that.. your no longer getting wherever. additionally check out inexperienced tea.. it is helping you get the abs. and burn fats..

• 9 years ago

not much, running helps swiming a lot because it builds lung capacity. but lifitng does help your arms go faster when you are stroking

Source(s): varsity swimmer
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.