Florida Vehicle Registration, what if I don't renew because the engine blew up on me.?

I was moving back to Arlington Texas from Fort Myers FL when my engine overheated and blew up in Louisiana. The tags are due in about a month, how do I de-register the car, since its not going to be in Florida???

2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Questions Questions Questions.

    Are you going to keep the Car. Are you going to replace the Engine.

    Decide what you are going to do with it. If you want to keep it, rent a U-Haul Truck and a car Dolly and tow it to Texas and have it repaired there. License it in Texas. If you are not going to keep and repair it, then Trade it to Someone in Louisiana and sign the Title over to them and notify Florida with all of the Details. Make sure you get the correct information. Or trade it in to a Dealer and they will take care of it. If you are going to just junk it, Pull the License plates and notify Florida that you are Salvaging the Vehicle and you turn the Title over to the DMV.

    If you want to worry about it later, just send in the renewal fee to Florida and it will be licensed for another year. If you do not drive it in Texas and do not leave it on a street you will be fine.

  • 9 years ago

    Contact Florida DMV and they will point you to the proper paperwork (it varies from state to state) for the vehicle being off the road. That will suspend the need for registration and insurance for some period specified on the forms. You can also suspend the insurance (call your agent) while it is off the road. The status can be renewed by filling out the forms again - mark your calendar and don't forget.

    *Do not drive the car until the status is changed back and it is insured!* You don't want to know what sort of fines that would bring. I know the engine is kaput but I want that to be clear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.