How to do this riddle type of thing??!?

Okay I have been beating myself up over this riddle type of thing PLEASE tell me the answer...So I will skip the details and tell you that there is basically 6 adults and 4 children. They need to cross this river but the boat is very smal so it can only carry either 1 adult or 2 children. It can NOT carry 1 adult and one child. So keep in mind someone has to bring the boat back each time and all that good stuff. Now how many 1 way trips does it take for everyone to reach the other side of the river. A round trip counts as 2 one way trips, and what is the whole process..? Please be detailed and clear I am clueless. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Let's call the side they are on Side 1, and the side they need to get to Side 2!!

1. 2 children in the boat, one gets off on Side 2

2. The kid rowing the boat picks up the next kid that's on Side 1.

3.Drops that kid off on Side 2.

4. Rows back, and picks up the last kid, and drops him off on Side 2.

5. Kid rowing gets off on Side 1. Adult takes it, goes to Side 2.

6. One kid on Side 2 get on the boat and rows to Side 1.

7. Kid gets off and gives it to another Adult, that rows to Side 2.

8. Another Kid on Side 2 gets on the boat, rows to Side 1, and gives the boat to an Adult, that rows back to Side 2.

9. Last kid on Side 2 rows to Side 1, and picks up another kid, rows them to Side 2, then rows back to Side 1, and gives the boat to an Adult, who rows back to Side 2. Kid on Side 2 rows back to Side 1. Now, on Side one are 4 kids and 2 adults, and on Side 2, are 4 adults.

10. Kid takes another kid and rows them to Side 2.

11. Kid takes another one, and rows them to Side 2.

12. Kid goes back to Side 1, and gives it to an Adult, who rows it back to Side 2.

13. Adult gives the boat to one of the 2 kids on Side 2, who rows it back to Side 1.

14. Kid gets off, and gives it to an Adult, who rows back to Side 2.

15. Adult gets off; gives boat to last kid on Side 2, who rows it back to Side 1.

16. Kid picks up another kid, then drops them off on Side 2.

17. Does the same thing to another kid.

18. Does the same thing to last kid, but this time, they both get off on Side 2!! Now, everyone has crossed over!!

Since I put some of the trips together in the steps, the total amount of one-way trips are: 30

Or, if there is a bridge, they could cross it, or swim across maybe??