Americans are overreacting about 9/11?

I mean no disrespect of course, but I am wondering if the American people are overreacting about 9/11? There were worst things that have happened like the bombing of Japan (twice...)

I heard another person say that America's 9/11 is Palestine's 24/7...

Anyway, your thoughts?

(btw, I am neutral on this matter)

Favorite Answer

In my opinion, yes. 9/11 was an absolutely horrible tragedy, and it should have never happened. 3000 people died for no reason, and that's unacceptable, but the Americans acted like millions had died. And worse than that is the fact that Americans, instead of remembering the dead, go on a murderous rampage of revenge across the middle east thinking it will bring them back. Not to mention all the hate crimes against Muslims (99% of whom condemn the attacks).

They need to realize that sometimes, bad things happen, and nothing can be done about that. Worse things happen all the time all across the world, but how much news coverage the anniversary of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings get? They may get a brief mention but that will be it, despite almost 246,000 people dying, 82 times as many as in 9/11.

As for my opinion on the bombing of Japan, I believe that the murder of innocent civilians is wrong under any circumstances, and that the bombs should have been dropped on military bases instead.

Except that 9/11 was the deliberate slaughter of thousands of civilians. They were the target.

And the only cause for the war was our having troops in Saudi Arabia, which was seen as an "insult to Islam" by bin ladin.

the Palestinians don't have a 911 because there are almost no cases of civilians being deliberately targeted.

Japan was bombed in the context of a world war.

So on the one hand we have civilians being deliberately killed as the target on the other we have some civilians being harmed incidentally, while in a war zone while the true target is military.

In the case of Palestinians it is even harder to compare because the Arab armed combatants deliberately put their civilians in harms way. When you drive up to a civilian building and fire truck mounted rockets and missiles at Israel so that when they fire back, they will hit a civilian building this is not comparable in any way to 911. It is terrible. It is a tragedy. And the blame lies with Arab terrorists.

9/11 is an act of terrorism. It is there for people not to forget the innocent people who died that day and how the organization responsible for 9/11 is still out there and the U.S. military is fighting it. Also, the bombing of Japan (i am assuming you are talking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki-obviously?) was meant to stop the war. I guess you can say it's somewhat justified? Also 9/11 is important to Americans not people outside of the U.S. (maybe yes because world trade centers were the center of economy in a way).

I am also neutral on this matter but this is what I think

Edit:

I don't really think they are overacting - it's like remembering the Holocaust.

• Ingrid

My Heart goes out to the Loved Ones left behind.

I also feel that we should quietly remember the Victims at the places that now have been dedicated to them. It should not be just another Reality Show. With so much to do about the event, we are playing exactly into the hands of future Terrorists. We keep underlining how powrful they are and that is dangerours for us all.

If the media would have stepped back, the whole event would have been much more dignified and have honored the Fallen just as much.

The local programs were actually very somber. All of the bruhaha before I found disturbing.

What I am more upset is the ignorance of the American people about the the cause of 9/11. They really do not realize that their foreign policy is to be blame for this tragic event. How in the world can someone think that it is OK to overthrow a establish government in the middle east and then fund a dictator to take over in order to receive the special interest for the American Govt(mostly oil). And the people in the middle east had to endure all of this dictator control for decays that American govt establish. People need to start waking up!!!

• ?

The bombing of Japan was done to save lives and end a war.

The surprise terrorist attack on 9/11 was done to start a war in a time of peace.

Also, Palestine is the one who is attacking Israel. Every day civilians are killed in Israel as a result of the religious war that arabs have declared against them.

• zulu45

Are we over-reacting? No. 3,000 innocent lives were taken by extremists following radical Islam.

I, personally, don't think that americans are overreacting :)