How long does the fermentation process take at room temperature?

I am making alcohol and I am wondering how long the fermentation process takes. It has been 5 days so far at room temperature, which is about 72-74 degrees.

Favorite Answer

What kind of alcohol are you making? More importantly, what kind of yeast are you using?

Wine yeast takes a long time to fully ferment, but much of the fermentation will be done in the first few weeks. The flavor will be bad unless you let it sit for several months.

Beer yeast (of the ale variety) can finish fermenting average strength beer in as little as two days or up to a week, but again, it will taste a lot better if you let it sit for several weeks.

If you're talking about hard liquor, I have no idea. But my understanding is that some types of hard liquor start out a lot like beer and is then distilled to get the alcohol percentage up.

Medium