copious asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Need to Remove Sludge from Community Tank?

What product can I use or what action can I take to reduce or eliminate sludge from my 30 gal community tank? Water quality is good, but I seem to develop sludge heavily on the water filter (Penguin 200) bio wheel, etc. Fish are all active and healthy, and have been for a long time. Only reading that's a bit off is the ph, at 6 or a small tad more. Just added a chunk of coral and it's still at 6. Anyway, what say ye?

Favorite Answer

1, you are overfeeding probably up to 5 times too much food.

2, you have a relatively small filter for the size of the tank. 200 gallons per hour is just a little too small.

3, you need to learn how to use a siphon gravel cleaner properly and get more filth while removing less water.

stop overfeeding, sludge is uneaten food broken down usually.

• Ianab

Sludgy filters is normal.

Take the filter media out, rinse it in a bucket of old tank water to get rid of most of the sludge, and put it back in the filter.

Repeat as needed.

Ian

well if it is just on filter means u just need to clean filter out more and don't worrie about ph to much as long as it i remains steady.