Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

Why do Hydrogen and Fluorine bond?

I'm doing a project for chemistry and i'm completely confused on what a polar covalent bond really is. help me---> PLEASE. I really don't want to get and F on this project.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

Each atom wants to have eight electrons in it's valence or outer shell. Hydrogen has only one electron in it's outer shell, and therefore wants to "get rid" of that electron to reveal the previous shell and have eight. Fluorine has seven electrons in it's outer shell, and wants another electron to make eight. Therefore, they bond. Since hydrogen doesn't want it's electron, and Fluorine does, the "shared" electron is more attracted to Fluorine. Therefore it is polar, and since they "share" the electron it is covalent as well. resulting in a polar covalent bond.

• 9 years ago

Because Hydrogen has a single electron in its outer shell (and therefore, it wants to gain one more to that its outer shell is full)

Fluorine has electrons in its outer shell (and therefore, it wants to gain one more e- to fill its outer shell and be more stable)

So when Hydrogen and Fluorine bond to form HF, they are both happier than they would be by themselves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.