Just found out i was 8 weeks pregnant .. and have been smoking?

I just found ot that im about 8 weeks prego and i smoke about 15 cigs a day ive been cutting down went from a pack a day... but will this harm the baby?? i dont know if i can quit...what do i do??

Favorite Answer

There's no sure way to say it won't harm your baby. I too smoked a pack a day when I found out I was pregnant. I had a really hard time quitting. I hate to admit it but I was still smoking at 7 months. Not a pack, I cut down to half a pack, then 3 cigs a day, then 1 a day. And I smoked American Spirits because they don't have as many chemicals. Not a safer cigarette but it made me feel better. I have a beautiful healthy perfect baby girl. She was born 3 weeks early. Just try to cut down as much as you possibly can stand. I did quit for the last of my pregnancy, and it wasn't that hard. It's like, once you get huge, it's hard to smoke a cigarette without feeling like the worst person ever. Good luck! And congrats!

• justme

i'm sure it will be ok so far if you can't quit cut down as much as you can..i went from 15-18 smokes a day down to 6 or 7 when i was pregnant..my doctor was impressed that i'd been able to cut down and my son though born 5 weeks early is a healthy 4 month old now

My Dr. told me not to quit. Quitting causes stress and will harm the baby. So I cut back to 5-7 a day. The result. 3 pregnancies, 3 big and healthy babies. Between 8.11 lbs and 7.9 lbs. All because I listened to my Dr.

His advice benefited my children.

Friends of ours, who don't smoke, have had a miscarriage, and one child with asthma.

It's all about genetics.

Source(s): Listening to an experienced Dr. with a college degree, instead of listening to non smokers on Yahoo who only have opinions.
  • I started to quit with my daughter when i was 5 weeks pregnant and had my last cig at 7 weeks pregnant, My baby is 100% fine and healthy but you need to quit asap

Doubtful. I smoked throughout all 3 of my pregnancies, And ALL 3 of my children were born very healthy. No low birth weights, no "defects', as some would say it does. None has asthma, or any other breathing problem. None were born prematurely. Think of it this way, there so much more you could do during your pregnancy that could cause harm to your baby.

Smoking can lead to numerous complications and health defects during pregnancy. Read up on it if you need motivation to quit and if you can't completely kick the habit then cut down as much as you can.