Trying to make sopapillas....?

Can I substitute shortening with lard??

BQ: Do ya have any "special" ingridients ya add to the mix to make 'em taste better??

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can use shortening or butter either one rather than lard. But the "fat" content will be the exact same.

Do let the dough rest after mixing it for about 30 minutes before making the little balls to roll out and cut into triangles.

Don't cut your triangles too small.

Do have your cooking oil at about 350F and allow it to come back up to that before putting any more in it.

Roll the dough as thin as possible, about 1/4 inch thick.

Special ingredients to make them taste better? what you talkin bout child?? I think sofa pillas are terriffic as they are if you follow the recipe.

I make them and toss in bread warmer to keep warm, then to table to be served with honey!!! Yum! Think I will change the orders I gave for dessert for dinner!! Yes, I happen to have a cook "in house" at the moment so I don't have to work at gettin dinner on the table!! Cook has a "dish washer" with her!!