Athiest: You were most likely forced into a religion from your parents unless otherwise?

What was your religion before becoming an athiest?

Favorite Answer

I've been an atheist since the age of 7, before that I never really thought about it, but was of course a theist and believer in Santa Claus.

Christian family.

I used to just acknowledge that there was a God. I had no title because all religions have some ****** up guideline on what it takes to be allowed into heaven and they usually are the most unholiest and judge mental people on the planet. I didn't even consider being an atheist

But I've actually become more religious I don't know why though I just did

weird

I was born to a catholic mother and an agnostic dad.

He let my mom tell me things, like I had an angel looking over me, and we went to church on occaision.

I went to bible camp, and was so confused by everything going on there... All the kids were normal kids who were just as ratty as any little ****.. except they all prayed and stuff, this is somethign I never did and never felt comfortable with. My thoughts are my own. I was always encouraged to ask questions, and had a desire to understand things.. I reached a bottom to the well of answers that I could recieve from my religious superiors.. their understanding of things stopped at a point and turned to belief

After I came back. they had told me I was saved, so I told my dad, and he told me his opinion on things, that being that he didn't believe in a God JEsus or anything...

I pursued answers in religion, getting a religious girlfriend, and going to a pentacostal church for over a year.. attending other friends churches too... I had debate with my pastors, and never accepted anythign at face value. Most of the things they said, the rest of the kids just accepted.. I needed reasons.. logic..

So I gradually came to terms with the fact that there is no god, and there is absolutely no reason to believe in the supernatural.. finally identifying myself as an atheist by grade 11..

Ive been happy as a clam ever since and I constantly pursue more knowledge and understanding

It's a-t-h-E-I-st, by the way...

And plain 'ol non-denominational (or so they claimed but their beliefs were nearly indistinguishable from Baptist). I wasn't really every much of a believer though. I remember being like 10 years old and having some serious issues with the nonsense I was being fed. I asked lots of questions and was not satisfied with the "oh um..well..hmmm...I don't know...It's best to just have faith" answers...By 14 I was like. NOPE, NOT BUYING IT. YOU PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. I'M DONE.

Was considered Roman Catholic for nearly the first 11 years of my life. Even as a child, I never really considered myself a true believer though.

• Ryan

I was forced into Christianity. Once I started actually thinking about it, I got away from the beliefs.

Yes, I was. I was a baptist christian. Though I can honestly say that once I got to the age of 5, I kind of thought it was all BS, but kept my thoughts to myself because I didn't want to make anyone mad or upset.

My parents are both Christians, but not very active in their beliefs. they raised me as a Christian, but I slowly turned to Atheism at 12-13.

Atheist all my life.

First met a vicar in school at 4, didn't believe him from day 1.

My parents are atheist but I became a Christian in later childhood before returning to atheism as an adult.