DREAMY
DREAMY asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Can our circumstances alone harden our hearts or is there always an element of choice?

Someone today said that a person through no fault of their own, hardened their heart. I disagree, but what do you think? Do situations control us completely, or do we can we change our hearts even in the bleakest of times?

• Aaron
    Favorite Answer

It's always a choice, because love is a choice. A person can get hid hard by the enemy, life and rotten circumstances in general, but it always comes down to a choice. Not preaching, because my hard heart is a direct result of my own disobedience. Jesus's yoke is humble and his burdens are light - He absolutely will NEVER put more on us than we can bare. One of the first things a Christian is tempted to do when things get rough is to drop Jesus. Second is to drop their brothers and sisters.

I got attacked hard core by the enemy several years ago. I didn't understand the attack or how to deal with it. In the midst of my battle, I spoke in my heart "Jesus won't help me, He doesn't care." In reality, I was taking on a lot more than I could handle, which wasn't Jesus's fault. I needed to consider deeply what I was doing and the potential struggle and battle involved ( I was really serving Jesus with everything I had and the devil knew it). So I understand the hardening of the heart and not really having an explanation why - but in the end, it's always an individual choice. It really is.

How we interpret things. I had pneumonia in my past over 35 times, had antibiotics

about 60 times, wiped out my immune system, so a slow climb back to be healthy.

And I know one bad thing can lead to another one.

I went through it learning what I could learn. There were many other things.

I later saw that my own past would have led to all this.

Knowledge about the circumstances, what leads up to them helps.

Sometimes there don't seem to be choices, or those choices

are really not choices at all.

But looking behind the event can keep the heart from hardening,

because we get some insight into it.

• Jamen

It would depend on how much a person has been hurt and what they think is the best way to prevent it from happening again. A foster child who's been bounced around or worse can easily have a hardened heart. A situation shouldn't control us completely but it can definitely influence a person. Whether it's permanent depends on how stubborn a person is in letting go. I've seen some pretty stubborn people too. : (

I agree, i think there is an element of choice involved. Though it can seem that our circumstances do have an overwhelming affect on our emotional state, it cannot have this effect without you letting it. During an assembly at school a few years back, one of the teachers talked about how "nobody can make you angry". And it's true. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head and shouting "be angry. . . or else!!!", nobody can force you to- and it's the same with all emotions. Nobody can make you sad, or bitter, or harden your heart, without you letting them. Eleanor Roosevelt once said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - i think this is the same sort of concept, the concept of there always being some sort of choice, even if it seems like a small, or even impossible, choice at the time.

The illusion in that comment is that they had no fault in what happened. I agree that sometimes things are so bad that we feel we are just hapless victims with no control over anything. And if we've suffered terrible tragedy or disease, we can't just make a simple choice to be positive. But we can make the choice in how it affects us permanently. To harden our hearts is to block out everything that's bad, but to also block the good; to become numb. And that's no way to live life. Our emotions are there to teach us about the mistakes we're making and that we need to correct them. To deny emotion is to deny our own humanity. If we cease to feel anything, we're nothing more than robots. But how do we deal with the pain? Face it head on. Deal with it right away. Go through the process of grief. Feel the pain and let it take its course. This allows it to dissipate in its own time. Then we can recover. But denying it only keeps it alive because we haven't dealt with it properly. To harden the heart is never the answer. Live life, feel everything there is to feel. Always try to do better the next time. That's what we're here for.

How you respond to your circumstances affects your heart. There can be 2 people in the same situation but one comes out seeing the positive side and the other seeing the negative side. Same situation, different results (hardening vs simply learning something), so I think there is an element of choice.

• Alex

Yup, it can happen to the best of people. Let's take the most extreme of situations. You go to work and come home to find your house burnt down from arson and your spouse and kids killed, not dead by accident but literally killed. Nobody is caught or even suspected and that surviving individual did absolutely nothing to provoke this. That could easily harden an individually by either making them block out others or simply refusing to open up again or both.

To believe that someone has absolute control over being changed by circumstance is to assume that everything has a fix regardless of what it may be. Simple fact is that people are unpredictable variables that will not react the same to a situation and sometimes no amount of good thoughts can change things.

God knew the thoughts Pharoah might make, merely like he's in many circumstances used with what you will do he's at the two ends of time and everywhen in between If He sees there isn't way you will replace, He might use you like He used Pharoah

A broken heart does not have to be a hardened heart. In a world without forgiveness, we would all be hardhearted.

90% is down to your family cultural background..and DNA

we can take on our parents physical appearances plus you can also inherit their attitudes..even far back as your grandparents

How many times people say..she has turned out just like her mother..or HIM' he's very much like his father..all selfish.

Once in a while...people do change through tragic circumstances or similar...resulting deep thinking that gives them a reality check

Spiritual experiences will always soften your heart..this phenomenon I have truly witnessed

god-bless