What was this in the sky ?

I remembered that about when I was in the fifth grade, I was at my brothers football game. And in the sky I noticed something bright in the night sky, and over the next hour the bright ball started to look like an open tear in the sky, it looked like a big purple scar with a yellow outline, it was here in las Vegas, during 04 or 05 maybe even 03, I'm not too sure when it happened, I was pretty young. Can anyone tell me what it was?

• GeoffG
    Favorite Answer

It could have been a fluid or gas dump during a satellite launch. There have been several similar to what you describe when rockets or satellites dump excess fuel or other substances.

That occurred in California in the 90's. My grandpa, who was a quality control inspector for Lockheed Martin on a NASA shuttle contract that it has to do with launching a vehicle into orbit.

Source(s): Grandfather

It may have been a falling star, just bigger. The colors are attributed to whatever elements were present in the object as it burned up in the atmosphere.