How do I quit this job?

As of right now, I am only 16 and work as a stock boy at a local grocery store. I want to quit, I absolutely hate it. I want to call them and tell them I quit. I don't know what is going to happen though and I am kind of scared.

• Al
    Favorite Answer

You need to man-up and do the right thing. Write a letter of resignation, give the employer 2 weeks notice (so he has time to hire somebody else) and tell them the date that will be your last work day. Whether you like your job or not, your employer did right by you, he spent both time and money to hire, train you keep you on his payroll. Now, you are expected to do the right thing by your employer. If you out right quit you'll leave him without a stocker at at time when he needs you and is paying you to be there. Sooner or later you'll be looking for another job and leaving on good terms with your present employer will get you a good recommendation for the new job. THAT recomendation can mean the difference in getting the next job. Do the right thing.

Its always nice to give the place you work 2 weeks notice so they can hire someone else, but its not mandatory unless its in your employment contract. Speak to your boss. Easiest thing is, 'I'm giving you my 2 week notice, I have chosen to move on to other employment opportunities My last day will be xx/xx/xx. I am prepared to leave sooner if that will work out best however." So the Worst thing you can do is just leave/not show up, and not call or write or anything...You just lost a good reference for your next job. Good luck!

I suggest you don't quit over the phone, but tell your manager directly face to face. Even though you hate the job, you have to leave on good terms as you might want a reference from there in future, just tell them you are moving on now