Chemistry Question. Please Help!!!?

The solubility of compound A in ethanol is 0.5 g per 100 mL at 0 degrees Celsius and 5.0 g per 100 mL at 78 degrees Celsius. a) To make a hot saturated solution of 15.0 g of A at 78 degrees Celsius, how much ethanol is required? b) When the solution prepared in (a) is cooled to 0 degrees Celsius, how much of compound A will be crystallized? How much of A would remain in solution and would not be recoverable.

If you could please help me solve this I would be most appreciative. I'm going to speak to a tutor as soon as a I can to see if they can help me as well. I'm able to answer everything else but I don't know where to start with this one. Please help!

• HPV
    Favorite Answer

The stated solubility of compound A in ethanol at 78C is 5.0 g / 100 mL. So if you want to dissolve 15.0 g of A in ethano, at 78C,

5.0 g A.......15.0 g A

------------ = --------------

100 mL.........x mL

It's just a simple proportion problem. x = 300 mL.

When you cool that solution to 0 C, only 0.5 g A / 100 mL will stay dissolved. Since you have 300 mL,

0.5 g..........x g A

----------- = --------------

100 mL.....300 mL

x = 1.5 g, which means that the rest of the 15.0 g (15.0 - 1.5 = 13.5 g) will crystallize out.