why did i keep turning to crap food?

i eat 1700 cals 6 days of the week and exercise 6 days about 90 mins. im not working at the moment. im 5'5" 130 lbs and im trying to lose weight. i try not to deprive myself and i make healthier versions of things i like.

but once a week i get this desperate desire to eat evertyhing in site. i dont know why this is happening i was fine during the year and a half that it took me to lose 100 lbs. but even tho iget disgusted with myself and say i wont do it anymore. i say i wont have cheat days anymore. today i started the day thinking id have 300 extra cals to have a few cookies. its now 4 and im at 2500 calories.

i have done worse in the past 3000-4000. if i go out to eat. but for the past 3 months that once a day of the week. i go nuts and no matter how much i eat and even if im full i just want to eat and eat. its horrible. i dont want to gain weight. what can i do to avoid overeating?

p.s. i have only ever had issues with overeating, ive never purged, and ive never been anorexic,

Update:

last week after overeating at mcdonalds, i promised myself that even if i go out i will eat healthy. and today i was trying to find money to go to subways and get something unhealthy. why is this happening? i feel so out of control and desperate that one day of the week!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1700 calories a day? The most likely reason I can think of that you get these urges (beyond the fact that everyone gets them to some extent) is that you are not feeding your body enough of the food it needs!

I want you to understand this: you are not eating enough food to healthily sustain your body!

Being on a diet or eating healthy isn't about modifying how much you eat, its about modifying what you eat.

realistically you should be eating anywhere between 2700-3500 calories a day for the average person. If your more active the numbers should go up. So instead of keep track of how many calories you ingest, you should be more worried about what type of calories you ingest.

If it comes out of a freezer, or you see adds for it on tv, or if it costs four dollars or less, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE. And don't use a microwave or eat anything that requires it. SODA is also a killer.

If you want to eat properly and lose weight, your meals should consists of meats, vegetables and fruits. Carbs should mostly be avoided (small amounts are fine, you don't have to completely stop eating them), but as a general rule avoid pizza, pasta, etc. Also when eating bread, don't eat white bread (case study fed it to rats and the rats died of malnutrition). Whole grains are better, but that does not mean eating cereal just because it says it has whole grains, its healthy.

I am going to say it again. Cutting calories out of your diet WILL NOT help you lose weight faster. The less you eat, especially in the morning, the more your body slows your metabolism, and when your metabolism is slower your body stores more fat because it feels like it is in starvation mode (so always eat breakfast!).

And if you really want to see results, you will have to get serious about exercising. Its all about priorities. Do you want to be happy with the way you look, and feel confident? Or would you rather sit around and watch TV for that extra hour or two?

"Nothing rewarding is ever easy."

Here is a list of stuff that is healthy to use in food and what you should eat, and some to avoid.

Excellent Protein Sources:

Almonds, Almond Milk, Avocado, Beans (kidney, Soy, Anasazi, Lima)

Eggs (preferably duck eggs because they have more nutritional value than eggs from chickens who are cooped in small cages all day), Cheeses, Mushrooms, Red Lentils, Red potatoes, Rice Milk (organic), Sprouts (alfalfa, wheat, sunflower, broccoli:especially good, has the same amount of protein as its weight in meat), Soy Milk (organic only), Tofu (organic only), also cashews.

Those are all good sources of protein and Fatty Acids.

Cook with:Safflower oil, and sunflower oil.

Don't cook with olive oil, but it is full of essential fatty acids and is also great for your skin and hair.

AVOID these oils: Canola, Palm, Peanut, Vegetable, Hydrogenated, and shortening.

Other good foods by Category:

vegetable:Artichoke, asparagus, arugula, avacado, Beets (red) Broccoli, Capers, Cauliflower, Yellow Squash (or also known as Crook Neck), cucumber, eggplant, fennel, green beans, horseradish, Leek, Lettuce (not iceberg, it has no nutritional value), kale, mushrooms, Olives, red onions, red potatoes, spinach, swiss chard, tomato (roma, plum), Watercress, Yams.

Grains: Amaranth, Barley, Buckwheat, Corn (organic) Kamut, Millet, Brown Rice

Berries: Bilberries, Blackberries, boysenberries, cranberries, gooseberries, hawthorn berries, Juniper berries, mulberries, raspberries, red currants, shisandra berries, strawberries.

Fruits: apricots, Bananas, Cantaloupe, Cherry, Coconut, Date, Fig, Grape, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemon/Lime, Mango, Mandarin Oranges, Nectarine, Papaya, Passion Fruit, peach, Pear, Persimmon, Pineapple, Plum, Star Fruit, Tangerine

Nuts: Almond, Brazil nut, caraway seeds, cashews, fennel seeds, flax seeds, pine nut, sesame seed, sunflower seeds

Meat/Fish: Orange Roughy, Buffalo/Bison Meat, Jumbo Shrimp, Salmon, Lake Trout

Natural Sweeteners: Brown Rice syrup, Date sugar, fructose (unrefined), Raw Honey, Maple Syrup Grade B

Dark chocolate (healthy : D )

I know, tons of info, but if you work out regularly, and eat right, you can eat the proper amount of food without gaining weight, all while watching yourself change for the better, As I said, all it requires is some conscious food choices (once again, THAT DOES NOT MEAN EAT LESS) and having a workout plan that you stick to consistently.

Stick with it And I guarantee you will see results. I used to be in a similar situation, now I'm healthy, In shape, and happy every time I look in the mirror (it didn't always used to be that way and its a great feeling to see your hard work paying off).

Go to your local farmers market, a great way to get fresh, healthy food, and save money while your at it. And if you can afford it, try to only eat organic.

Good Luck.

-Brendan

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think that eating only 1700 kcal a day is not enough looking at how much you exercise each day. You should try to increase your daily calorie intake to at least 2000 kcal and see if it helps with your cravings.

Another problem that you experience is psychological. You should never think that there is some kind of food (which you love) that you will never eat again in your whole entire life. By thinking like that, you are simply programming yourself for failure and end up eating more than you wanted which leads to self- guilt. Humans are quite weak creatures and the thought of simply not giving yourself what you want (whether it's a nice dress, holiday or a piece of chocolate cake) hurts your ego. So would you want to restrict yourself all your life?

Healthy eating is a lifestyle but you should never overdo things, sometimes relax a bit and try to change your mental attitude. If you work hard for 6 days, eat what your body is craving on the last one and never feel guilty about a human's right to eat and enjoy. It might take a bit longer to see the results but it's worth it and you are not going to be hurting yourself. All the best

Source(s): Me, psychology student!
  • janie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

When watching the film the forks over knives, they pointed out that weight is determined as much or more by WHAT we eat than HOW MUCH we eat. Brendan has it right on it is what we eat and I did like his answer.

Countries that do not have modern western ills like diabetes, cancer, obesity, osteoporosis etc are vegans eating a plant based diet they tend to be thinner and yet eat about 20% more calories than the west does. Even the office workers eat more calories than we do. They do exercise by riding bikes to work in China where the study was done (the china study).

This largest study ever done on the link between food and health showed that it was people who ate zero to 10% animal products had the most perfect health (and weight) Most people who become vegan lose weight.

I recommend you eat lots of produce, at least 50% raw, whole foods not refined, whole grains in moderation, legumes,raw nuts and seeds, seaweeds, home fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, natural sweeteners, and maybe some plant milks/dairy and some soy or wheat gluten substitutes.

If eating meat, I would do mainly fish and be sure it is wild caught not farm raised maybe some organic, free range chicken once a week. If dairy, use vegan cheeses (vegan gourmet is a goof one) or possibly some organic cottage cheese as this is less mucus forming than other cheeses.

Start taking in green smoothies daily about a quart as these helped people tremendously in studies.

Later you might look into the weight loss that people had on a 85% raw, vegan, whole food diet after taking a look at the testimonies as hacres.com 100% raw is even better. You can eat more variety than you realize on a raw food diet and can make treats in a dehydrator with a temperature control set to 105 degrees and it still be raw like brownies made with raw cocao, cakes and crackers and cookies etc so you do not feel deprived. The internet is rift with recipes and substitutes for our old favorites and new ones. Get some raw food cookbooks whether a carnivore, vegetarian or vegan as raw is the real key to health.

I think every one needs cheat days...you could counterbalance this by doing some juice fasting. Patrica Braggs daughter of the owner of the first health food store in America juice fasts the same day one day a week and then 3 days a month. go to torrentz and download the movie fat, sick and nearly dead to learn about rebooting and the success with it in weight loss. It is an entertaining movie. Also see forks over knives at the same site.

Really though I was always told that 139 is the weight for someone 5 ' 5",

When juice fasting take no pulp with the juice, drink within 20 minutes, chew the juice and make fresh each time. When making green smoothies when not fasting you can take the pulp and hold in the refrigerator a few days. Be sure to alternate the 50 or so greens every few days and add various fruits to the greens with water and maybe raw agave sweetener if it needs it.

This way it will all balance out when you average your calories for the day at the end of the month But vegans rarely need to count calories The vegan diet itself is conducive to weight loss.

Lastly eat mainly healthy foods but once in a great while maybe take a taste of something or better yet make a healthy version.

And try to stop telling yourself you are desperate and out of control and always mess up that day as you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Visualize yourself doing well on that day and do affirmations. This best when you are drowsy to reprogram the subconscious in the first am or when going to sleep.

You lost a 100 pounds..be happy and celebrate instead of beating yourself up:)

Go here and read some of the weight loss testimonies on a mainly raw diet which generally does not include counting calories but watching what you eat. Some raw foodists I know (thin) told me they eat huge bowls of salad etc. (of course there is a lot more you can eat than salad

Go here to see what you can eat and what foods are considered raw

http://www.hacres.com/hallelujah-diet/explanation

http://www.hacres.com/library/testimonies/search

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I think you get a desperate desire to eat because you're supposed to take in at least 2000 calories a day.

Source(s): British National Health Service website.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.