What do you think about people offering you advice you never asked for?

What do you think about people offering 'advice' and to 'help you out' when you never asked for it?

What would be your attitude about this? Annoyed? Grateful they were so thoughtful of your needs..etc?

Favorite Answer

If the advice giver is a family member, employer, teacher, professor, Law Enforcement, Judge, parent, phsyician, counselor or friend, then (presumably) they have your best interest at heart. There can be/

will be exceptions to this..as we all know. Some people are power-tripping, or trying to exult them self by "advising" another. Some are not really trying to help at all. But, overall; at least listening to it is wise. In one of those cases, they just may know a little more than who they're advising and really genuinely feel their advise will help.

Their knowledge & experience is what they're relying on and mean well in most cases. I personally seek out advise from any one/all of the above.

-

If it's an advise-giver in the Y'!A.com format, as a result of one having asked a question..then I would/do chalk it up to they're doing the best they can to answer a Q.

Especially when a Q is semi vague..contribs will try to take an educated guess at what the "real" Q is.

example:

"What'll I DO.. bf cheats repeatedly with no apologies and no remorse"?

How can this person ask this? The contrib may think..and sincerely feel offering up (albeit unsolicited advise) is the ethical thing to do.

"Do..Do..? Leave him, now"..!

-

When a kid posts a Q re:

"How do I get high using household cleaners or solvents..don't your daree tell me not to..I just wanna know how"..

Um..well. Let's see. The contrib bares some responsibility to say the words 'Don't do this'. If the asker is miffed because they haven't gotten what they're seeking then so be it. He/she may pitch a fit, but it's important for all of us to be mindful of what is right vs what is wrong. This is reliant on everyones collective participation in not being a part of a kid hurting himself..

being responsible and at least trying to be of help.

-

If the advise-giver is some peripheral person in ones life, who doesn't know any of the details and it's completely out of left-field, then I would say, emphatically, pass on heeding their advise.

Those people are pot-stirrers, gossips and busy-bodies..probably with their own agenda.. Thanking them for their opinion (even if it was unsolicited) and walking away is for the best. If one can avoid an argument or a rumble it's always preferable.

*+*+++*+++****+**+*+*e than who they're advising and really genuinely feel their advise will help.

-

example:

"Do..Do..? Leave him, now"..!

-

When a kid posts a Q re:

-

*+*+++*+++****+**+*+*

I'm grateful for having people who care. Other people often think of a solution that I haven't thought of.

I then make my own decision about whether or not to take the advice.

Probably grateful. I wouldn't grudge any good advice.