What does freedom mean to you?

I have an essay having to do with freedom for school. In my bubble map, I have to put what freedom means to me. And I ran out of ideas. So, what does freedom mean to you?

Favorite Answer

People throw around terms like 'freedom' and 'liberty' without ever stopping to think what they mean. I mean people are wiling to die for them without ever understanding, or even thinking about, what they actually are. This exercise is obviously meant to make you think about them.

I think the problem is that freedom is mostly defined by what it is -not-. If you lived in a brutal dictatorship and suddenly were -free-, you'd certainly see the difference. Living in a free country all your life, you don't -see- freedom, just as a fish doesn't know it's swimming in water.

Freedom means you are -free-, of course. Free in many ways. Some of those things are carefully spelled out in the Bill of Rights, the ones that were thought most important. Freedom of speech, of religion, of assembly, etc. If you are accused of a crime you have many protections to allow you to defend yourself, your trial must be local and open to the public, the charges must be spelled out in detail, you have a right to a lawyer, to be released on bail (in most cases), and you have the right to confront your accuser in court and cross-examine him.

But there are other freedoms we don't even see because we've had them so long we take them for granted. We don't have a class system so everyone is seen (at least in terms of the law) as equal. Meaning that you can be a doctor or a lawyer even if your dad wasn't one. You don't have to live in the crappy neighborhood you grew up in, you can move anywhere you can afford to live. You have the same chance to get into a good college or university as anyone else (providing you can afford the tuition).

In the labor marketplace you are a 'free agent'. You can leave any job and get another job. You can negotiate wages. You can go into business for yourself, you don't need to have connections or be in a certain class. You can marry whoever you like, so long as he/she wants to marry you too of course. You can live wherever in the country you like, or even overseas.

'Freedom' basically means that the government serves the people, not vice versa. That the government has only those powers that are 'necessary and proper' to do its job.

Well, at least that's the idea. Over the last few decades Americans have been more and more convinced that the only way to protect freedom is to give it up, first with the McCarthy era, then the Drug War, and now the War on Terror. That might be why your teacher wants you to think about what freedom actually is. Because we are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

What Does Freedom Mean

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does freedom mean to you?

Source(s): freedom you: https://biturl.im/zdpuT

Freedom means that I have been able live as I wish. I can work hard anywhere I qualify. I can buy a house, vote in elections. Speak good, or bad about our government, marry the person I love. Rise above or fail according to my will to work hard. I have been lucky to have been born in this country where freedom for me and my family have been fought for and sacrificed for by many. Thank you to all the people that fought and their families.

• Diana

Freedom does not negate the consequences of one's actions. I can go find the tallest mountain, climb it and jump off. Does the fact I'd smash into the ground and break a great deal of my bones mean I didn't have the freedom? No. I just used it to do something idiotic.

Freedom means to me, being able to live how you want, without any control

absolute freedom is doing what you want, believing what you want, saying what you want, writing what you want anytime anywhere.

the power or right act,speak,or think as one wants the state of not being imprisoned or restraint