Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

Parents: Would you buy your children birth control & condoms?

When I was 14, I asked my mom if she would take me to get birth control. She told me "No, don't have sex." I had been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and we had been waiting to have sex until we both felt ready. We had sex, and he used a condom each and every time, but I still got pregnant. I now have a 2 yr old son.

My question to you parents is this: Would you buy your children birth control & condoms? My mom never even really gave me a sex talk, she just always told me "Don't have sex." I think its a parents responsibility to teach their kids about sex and contraceptives, and to be willing to get their child contraceptives if they ask for them. What do you think?

Not sure if the way either of you worded your answers was a direct hit at me or not, but just to clear a few things up:

Alyssa and Chloe's Mommy: My mother has never bought diapers or formula for my son. My boyfriend & I have paid all of his expenses since the day I found out I was pregnant. I don't rely on other people to raise the child that I created.

mcally: Having a baby as a teen does not ruin your life. It makes it more difficult, but in no way, shape or form does it "ruin" it.

Favorite Answer

Yes I would. I would want to have an open relationship with my child and hope that he could approach me about anything. And I would definitely talk to him about safe sex. Sex shouldn't be considered a taboo subject.

I do think you are right. It is the parents responsibility to teach there child about sex, and safe sex.

I hope to have an open enough relationship with my kids that they can talk to me about things. If I had daughters yes I would put them on birth control. I asked my mom for bc when I was 14 because my periods were irregular. I would go 3 months without one, then bleed for 2 weeks straight, stop, then have another period a week later. She freaked out and yelled at me and I think I actually got grounded. I didn't even have sex until 2 years after that. But as it stands, I don't have any daughters. I'm not sure about the condom situation. I don't want to just give my son a box of condoms on his 16th birthday. But I hope we have a close enough relationship that if he's been with a girl for a while and they feel ready, he will ask me to take him to buy some condoms instead of just having sex and hoping. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset about a pregnancy. I would be much more upset about taking my son to the dr for "personal" problems and finding out he has chlamydia.

I would prefer for my children to wait, but I know it is unrealistic. I want the girls who go to youth group and generally are more focused on studying than parties & boys. Ridiculous, I know.

As difficult as it may be to swallow your sense of control with your kids, it seems far better than them messing up their chances of finishing college and enjoying their youth. I will probably have to pop a few Tums before the big sex/contraceptive talk...but I'll do it.

• My kids will get a huge sex talk, and they will be given birth control and condoms if they want them. I would rather buy birth control and condoms for my kids than have to buy diapers and formula for my grandkids.

I will put my girls on birth control because it also helps with periods.

but.... I'm not buying them condoms. When I was a teenager, I had to find my own. If you're big enough to be having sex then you are big enough to find you're own condoms. come on now.

• mcally

My daughter will be put on birth control. I prefer that to her ruining her life by having a baby when she is a teenager.

Yes I would. When teenagers think their ready, there's not really much you can do to stop them.

• YES!!!!

I would put her on the pill or implant AND give her condoms!!!

Source(s): am a young mum and want better for my lil girl