Which is better a heat pump or a gas furance?

I getting ready to put in a complete central air conditioning system in my old house. I will need to have complete duct work installed. I have heard that I will either need a heat pump or a gas furance. I would think a gas furnance would be better. Anyone have any ideal what this would run for a 1850 sq ft house, 4 bdrm, 2 baths?

Favorite Answer

Consider

Air conditioner is for cold air, furnace is for hot air

A HEAT PUMP actually does both. It will totally serve as air conditioner (usually little less efficient than straight AC. It will also serve as a heater, but usually not enought to NOT have a furnace. Depending on the model and your electricity and gas prices, the Heat Pump is more efficient until the outside temp gets cold enough that the furnace is then more efficient for heat than the electric heat pump. This "breakeven" temp might vary from 0 degrees to 30 degrees again depending on model, electric and gas prices. Might try to call your electric company to supply this analysis for you.

Ive had 2 heat pumps with pretty good success. They do cost more than an AC and the compressor doesnt seem to last as long since they run in summer and winter both. The heatpump is somewhat more comfortable because it puts out 90 degree but runs a lot so the temp is more constant vs a furnace puts out 140 degrees for shorter periods. NOTE: there are different kinds of heatpumps--air to air looks like your A/C. But there are also ones that dig deep wells into the ground have circulation pipes to take advantage of the soil temp--both cold and warm. These are expensive but the most efficient over a longer period of time.

Source(s): experience
  • Boe

If your in a region where the temps dont really get below 32 degrees the heat pump would be a more cost effective. However, with a heat pump the air will always feel luke warm when coming out as oposed to gas which would feel much hotter. Both do the same job.

If you have gas service I would probably go with gas. Reason being is heat pumps run 12 months out of the year and have a lot more parts to them that can go wrong. Not saying they have a high failure rate. But the repair costs on a heat pump can be salty vs a basic ac unit. Having said all that seeing this is a complete install expect prices from 8K-10K. Which is cheaper depends on your gas rates and electric rates. Where im at midwest Electric is cheaper than gas. So with my house about 200 sq smaller my electric bill summer run 120-140. Winter 140-160. Its pretty consistent as long as we dont have a hard winter of sub temps. Which is better depends on who you as and it more climate a personal preference. If you were up in say Minnesota there is no way in heck you would want a heat pump. If you were in the mid to souther region of the us I would go heat pump.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I getting ready to put in a complete central air conditioning system in my old house. I will need to have complete duct work installed. I have heard that I will either need a heat pump or a gas furance. I would think a gas furnance would be better. Anyone have any ideal what this would run for a...

Source(s): heat pump gas furance: https://tr.im/EnJNB

As a rule of thumb I try to stick with gas because of the cost factor. I cant say if the efficiency is any better or more dependable. Regarding a pump moving objects break, and need repairing more than others. That's the best I can give you, Good Luck to you. I try to relay in every answer to do the homework it will be key. I'm sure a source can be found that gives side by side comparisons of all factors. When I'm out on a job site and the new units are being installed {I refer to most from AC's to in line pressure pumps. They will have literature that shows that units information along with comparative like units for efficiency etc....So there should be a online source, Try "Carrier, Briggs and Stratum, or Honeywell" at the least you might pick up a link or two.

if you are anywhere north of cincy, a heat pump will need some backup heat source. some sort of gas fuel is usually best. heat pumps are only slightly more expensive that straight air conditioning units.

modern gas furnaces burn nat gas or propane with only a burner jet change. the best are 95% efficient. modern heat pumps are effective to about 20 deg F, and can still extract some energy from the outdoors to about 15 deg.

my system, bought spring of '10, is a bryant HP 2.5 tons, with a Bryant 95% efficient furnace 55,000 BTUH, and a Bryant Evolution control. i have it set to hybrid heat down to 20 deg(HP with furnace for defrost). under 20 deg it is furnace only. i can set the fan speed to either "comfort" or "efficiency". register drafts are warm on the comfort setting, but the operating cost is somewhat higher.

price was $8000 before rebates and tax credit. no ductwork beyond what was needed to make the new furnace fit. utility rebate of $600. Bryant rebate of $550. fed tax credit of $1500. my house is about the same size. 2 levels with half the bottom level a garage. north of dayton oh.

saving vast amounts of dollars compared to '70s tech.

Heat pump is more efficient but it will not work if it gets to cold. If you are in Florida or other states where temps don't get to cold go with the heat pump. If you live in the states where it gets to cold go with both, you'll save money in the long run.

Lakers. It's the best team in franchise history with a lot of big mans and great players. They also have 16 Championships while the Heat only have 2. The Lakers also retired a lot of jerseys.

if you live in the southern states get a heat pump fuel will be cheaper, but in the northern very cold states the heat pumps are not very efficient