Why do people like horror movies?

This question is for horror movie fans only. Sometimes I just don't understand why some people like these movies, especially the more gruesome and disturbing ones (Imprint, House of 1000 corpses, just their facebook pages disturb me).

If possible, try to refrain from answers like "We just do" or "Why do YOU like ____?" I'm just wondering if people find them fascinating, aesthetically interesting, etc. Be descriptive.

Favorite Answer

I'm a huge horror movie fan. I've always loved them since I was a kid.

The appeal in horror movies lies in their excitement and danger. There's a real thrill in being thrilled. Some people enjoy being scared because it provides a surge of adrenaline (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween). Others like to be disgusted or revolted because it challenges their appetite or their "strength" (Saw, Hostel, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Ringers). And others just like to experience disturbing events because it gives them an opportunity to peek into the world that no ones has ever returned from: lunacy (Shutter Island, Girl Interrupted).

Horror movies appeal to our fantasy-yearning side. We WANT to experience horror and thrill because it's an exciting experience that doesn't happen to us everyday, from the safety of our sofas. Today's society is too safe and too politically correct, so horror movies are a form of escapism.

But horror movies also appeal to our taboo side. We want to experience things that we're not allowed to experience otherwise in real life. Things like cannibalism, torture, mutilation, ingestion of the "unsavoury" etc. This is often known as "body horror" and appeals to our sense of disgust.

There is also a category of horror films that needs its own titles and that's supernatural horror. The reason why these have become so increasingly popular (The Exorcist, Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Amityville Horror) is because of the atmosphere they create. Supernatural horror is scary not because of what you see, but because of what you DON'T see. It's the possibility that there could be something life threatening that we can't even see.

At the end of the day, horror movies are all about the experience. We all watch them for different reasons, but it's always about the exciting experience.

Source(s): Myself ^_^

Watch Free Movies Online

I love horror movies. But I do have a limit! For the longest time I never could watch House of 100 corpse still can't but Texas Chainsaw Massacre is now cool but I don't like the hole BLOODY **** but I do love Slasher films the most! Because they are thrilling! and the best Actresses are in horror movies! Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jamie Lee Curtis, Danielle Panabaker, Neve Campbell.

I would not recommend It. It's literally one of the most BORING horror films out there. The book was way better. I would, however, recommend anything from Masters of Horror, they're really good movies. Those would include Jenifer, Sounds Like, We All Scream for Ice Cream, etc.

• Timbo

I love horror movies, i prefer the more thrilling horror movies over the gore. I dont find any of the horror movies scary. I just enjoy them. They are just entertaining to me. I enjoy different types of movies, i will watch just about anything, but i prefer horror and scifi movies.

You raise some good points in your question.