How is it possible for humans to perceive a spectrum of colours on TV's and Computer monitors -- read info?

How is it possible for humans to perceive a spectrum of colours on TV's and Computer moniters when they only emit Red, Blue and Green light from their pixels?

Favorite Answer

This is the additive color wheel. These produce a full range of colors by "adding" them to black.

Note that this system works pretty well for human eyes. Your parrot may love watching TV, but you can bet that he finds the colors to be wrong.

I am not sure but I assume that can be achieved by varying the amplitude/intensity of one of the colours. For example if you want to have white it's a superposition of red, blue and red at full intensity.

You would get yellow by turning blue completely off and only having red and green.