Why do Americans have such weird dating rituals?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Don't they ever just hang out like normal people?
Update : Bill - classic example. Why, is it 'lesbian' to just hang out instead of ...show more
Update 2: Old's Cool - that sounds fairly normal to me :-) My view is perhaps ...show more
Update 3: Jessica - no worries :-) Have to say you were unlucky with the bumping ...show more
Update 4: Blue Eyed - alas, he was wrong in that scenario. The beard and the accent ...show more
Best Answer
  • Jess answered 3 years ago
Many Americans, especially Southerners, are more old fashioned. I could just as well ask, "Why are British men all such wimps when it comes to asking out women on proper dates a few days in advance instead of texting on the night of and then getting knee walking drunk on the date."

Maybe it's because the Brits hate expressing themselves; maybe British men are all really gay like American men say; maybe they have to drink on a date just to be able to express themselves a little bit. These would all be stereotypes.

I can tell you, when I lived in Britain, American men told me dating British women was incredibly easy since the women had never been properly romanced.

Edit: I'd like to add I LOVE Britain. I'm just ribbing you back. :)

********Edit: The idea that you shouldn't be asked out the day of is a matter of respect. I'm not surprised someone in NYC thinks differently than a Southern gal like myself. I was taught, and found well raised men in the South were taught, you have to ask a woman out a few days in advance. If he doesn't he's doing two things: 1. Assuming you would be free (Why, I do declare! I am a very busy socialite lol) 2. Allowing you to think you could be his back up, which needless to say, is insulting.

Source:

First date I ever had with a Brit, he got so drunk he slurred his speech and bumped into a wall. Oh, and he asked me out the day of. That's a huge no-no.
  • 7
  • Comment

Other Answers (18)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Accomplish Great Things answered 3 years ago
    We hang out like normal people. Our dating rituals are normal too. Get to know someone, ask them out, go on a date, etc.

What is so weird about that?
    • 9
    • Comment
  • Old's Cool answered 3 years ago
    Hm. I've dated in Belgium and it seems pretty much the same.
    You meet a guy you like, you go out for a beer and dinner, you talk a bit, walk a bit, you hug and maybe kiss.
    Then do it again if you want to.

Why--where are you that you do things differently?
    • 8
    • Comment
  • NONAME answered 3 years ago
    Dating IS weird in America if you are a Brit

I am a Brit living in the States and Americans consider dating a prelude to something more committed and people here date multiple people at the same time until they become exclusive which isn't kosher in the UK

Yes it is weird and sometimes it's hard to know if you have been asked out on a date or if you have been asked to hang out or if it's a booty call - and vice versa if you are the one doing the asking.

EDIT

"Actually (funnily enough) one of the few times this has happened to me was a bus tour guide in New York. Perhaps he thought I was incredibly easy? :-)"

P'raps he was right?

aaahahahaha!
    • 6
    • Comment
  • Mabel B answered 3 years ago
    Because their cuture is a mish mash of all different cultures.
    • 5
    • Comment
  • ♫Temple♫ ♥ babykat answered 3 years ago
    Yes we do, we do this quite often, many, myself included, prefer this to going out.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Serena answered 3 years ago
    Americans 'hang out' all of the time.

Why do people from different countries have an obsession with what Americans are doing? I have never seen a person ask so many questions/inquire about any other country. It's weird. People start thinking that all American stereotypes are true just because they see them online. WTF.
    • 6
    • Comment
  • Grandpa S answered 3 years ago
    OK, I give up. What do you consider to be a "normal" dating ritual? Is the man expected to get to know the father really well first, prove that he is a decent chap by doing odd jobs around the family homestead, and then ask the father's permission to write to the young lady, or perhaps, even (if he is very bold), ask permission to sit next to her on the porch swing and exchange pleasantries over tea and crumpets?

Normally Americans meet through mutual friends, or at church, work, school, through hobbies and/or social groups, or maybe they meet at a bar or club, and have a conversation. If they like each other, then they make arrangements to meet again. You consider that to be odd, do you?

==edit==

I forgot; now-a-days, people meet through Internet dating sites, and exchange a few e-mails or IMs before giving out their phone number and having a live chat. I guess you could call that "odd".

But as for making new friends in public places, by saying hello to strangers, being "odd" or "creepy", as some have alluded to, I've noticed that people in other parts of the world (like Australia, for example) do the same thing, if you believe what you see on the Internet:

Source(s):

• 4
    • Comment
  • ? answered 3 years ago
    I think that Americans have weird ways to meet their romantic partners too and then, they're surprised by the divorce rate! I think they are very independent and practical people, which means that they do everything with a clear purpose, instead of getting to know each other in a group setting, etc.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Jellyfish answered 3 years ago
    You're ethnocentric. It's not "weird" just because it's not how it's done in your culture.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Pioneer Paul answered 3 years ago
    Between the blood offerings to Cthulhu and animal sacrifices, yes we do hang out like normal people.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • scabs answered 3 years ago
    i would guess that its not "normal" to you because youre not an american.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • ? answered 3 years ago
    Sometimes. I've had relationships form after being friends for a while...or if I liked a guy and wanted to go after him, I'd invite him to just "hang out," and we'd take it from there...but I've also done the "formal dating" circuit..where a guy asks you out..picks you up..pays...drops you off..maybe a kiss... hopefully calls in two days.... asks you out again, etc...
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Ghadahav Morchaffi answered 3 years ago
    hmmmm.
    sounds like you are not hanging with the right americans.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • ♥ the pen is in a box ♥ answered 3 years ago
    Not without a little blood-letting and divination.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Haha I know right, people on here told me they ask random strangers on the street out for coffee. I mean whatttt???
    • 4
    • Comment
  • fairytarts answered 3 years ago
    I don't see them any different in the rest of the world. Men are the same. Th majority want sex in return for a meal.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Mama Outlaw answered 3 years ago
    Like all our rituals it is meant to enrich corporations and contribute to the gdp.

Hanging out like normal people is not as good for the economy as "dating". Getting to know one another and settling down is not as good as frantically searching or launching spite flings etc.

Capitalism could. Ruin everything if you let it.

Source(s):

How many immigrants wearily say this is a great country for making money but there is no family life and no friendship here.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Bill_the_Dog answered 3 years ago
    I think what you meant to say was, how come all people aren't lesbians?

Edit-->>but isn't it nice?...as Dr Frankenfurter would say
    • 2
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock