What were you doing the day you heard the news of the September 11, 2001 New York attacks?

I was asleep, when I got a call from my mom to tell me about the 9/11 attacks. I remember the previous night so vividly, that i had a hangover feeling upon waking up, and suddenly my hangover was gone the moment i heard the news. I was glued to my tv in disbelief.

Favorite Answer

I was 7 and I lived in California

Because of the time difference, we didn't go to school. I remember waking up and wondering why I was still at home. I thought my mom had chosen to let my younger cousins and I play hookey. I sat up and listened, but all I could hear was the television, which was strange.

I went out into the hall, and saw that my aunt was up, which was strange because she worked nights.

I walked in and saw my cousins seated quietly which was even stranger. I looked at the tv and saw a replay of the second tower being hit.

I asked so many questions "Is this real? Was it an accident? Are there people in there? How are they going to fix this?"

Even being so young, I knew this was serious.

My mom stopped answering my questions and told me to hush. So I sat and watched so I could find out for myself.

And the south tower fell.

I remember the sense of dread that sank into all of us

The north tower fell

And I thought it was the end of the world. I was terrifed.

I learned a new word that day. Terrorism. I didn't understand how someone could hate so much. I still do not.

Wow, I can imagine that.

I remember I was still in the 5th grade. But I've done research last year about it and realized it did much more damage than the collapse of the WTC and the death of thousands of people.

It created an imaginary "we" (presumably America) and an imaginary "them", the terrorists. However, this was a contradiction in our own country because "them" terrorists also existed in America. Americans terrorized our own country within...so who exactly are "we"? Who does "we" include? It can't include just Americans because we know that there is interior terrorism plus the exterior. How do we divide or sort out the people who belong in the National Identity, if it even exists? I don't think we can.

So when you have that American flag as your avatar, it really doesn't mean anything in context. In this situation, it just means you support America (or not)...but it doesn't mean everyone in America supports their own country or even makes you part of America. Who is America? I doubt you can answer that question...I've put together a 10 page essay on this and referenced many scholarly journals...

i exchange into in my residing room gazing CNN. the 1st airplane had hit and as I watched the 2nd hit. I remember my abdomen knotting and my coronary heart dropping. My son who exchange into 12 on the time exchange into with me gazing and that i remember after gazing, dumbfounded, for a on an analogous time as I became to him and mentioned, you recognize that this could be an prolonged way away and that there'll by no ability be any planes crashing on us then I only hugged him. As I watched by using fact the 1st tower fell and that i cried and all that day at artwork no one somewhat observed it. i'm no longer an American yet on that day my coronary heart went out to that united states of america, so proud and ever after so shattered. That adventure became American bravado to worry and revenge. I mourn the lack of yankee self belief that 9/11 introduced approximately. From a Canadian who cares.

I was at work. I heard the dj's get real serious and they were saying that the plane hit the building and like "what?", then 10 minutes later they said another hit the building. it was crazy. The radio station fired those two dj/s because they supposedly did not handle the announcement well. How were they supposed to handle that? Makes you wonder.

In grade school. Most kids didn't even show up, and the ones who did were running around frantically asking if anyone else saw what happened on the news. It was horrible.

I was sleeping and my mom woke me up and told me I didn't have to go to school because they canceled it even though I live in southern california they canceled because they didn't know what was going on so they thought maybe L.A. would get attacked too because its another major city so alot of schools canceled.

I was in school and heard it loud on a radio... I then remember people looking scared and thinking a bomb was going to kill the whole world.

oh God, i remember it like it was yesterday, i was in the third grade and it was announced, the teacher told us not to be afraid, if we hear anything, wen i got home, the news were on and i watched the replay of the towers fall over and over again. i walked into the bathroom and prayed.

I was five years old, so I don't remember.

I don't think the severity of the situation really sunk in because I was so young and I didn't understand what was going on.

I heard about it 2 days after. I was little and had no Idea what was going on