E asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 8 years ago

Suggestions for movies about art or artists?

I'm looking for fictional movies that have art as a major plot driver, or an artist as a main character. So to clarify, no documentaries. I know of tons of documentaries, but I want fictional films. For instance, The Horse's Mouth or Art School Confidential.

Favorite Answer

I would highly recommend The Draughtsman’s Contract directed by Peter Greenaway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083851/

There's been so many good movies based on the lives of artists like Frida, Basquiat, Pollock, Klimt, Girl with a Peal Earring (Vermeer), I Shot Andy Warhol, Crumb, American Splendor (Harvey Pekar was from my hometown of Cleveland), My Left Foot (Christy Brown), Lust for Life (Van Gogh), The Agony & The Ecstacy (Michelangelo), and Factory Girl (Edie Sedgwick and others from Warhol's Factory).

I know that you said no documentaries but have you seen In the Realms of the Unreal (about Henry Darger, one of my absolute favorite films!!!), The Rape of Europa, The Great Contemporary Art Bubble, My Architect (about Louis Kahn), Matthew Barney: No Restraint, The Art of The Steal, The Desert of Forbidden Art, Herb & Dorothy, Guest of Cindy Sherman, How to Draw a Bunny (about Ray Johnson), !Women Art Revolution, The Cool School, Absolute Wilson (about Robert Wilson), Louise Bourgeois: The Spider the Mistress and the Tangerine, The Mystery of Picasso, Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision, The Cats of Mirikitani (about Jimmy Mirikitani) or Our City Dreams? I think all of these are excellent documentaries and well worth seeing if you haven't seen any of them yet.

there is a japanisse one call together is great

sister act one and sister act two these are amazingg

ray the biography of ray charles

Proof from 1991, about a blind photographer.

Art school confidentiol was great!

pianist

fame

august rush