promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

An ant carries food at a speed at 1 cm/s. how long will it take the ant to carry a cookie crumb from the kitch?

These 2 are physics one question.

I'm doing this worksheet and these 2 last ones are hard to solve. Do you mind help me out with these 2?

Thank you so much!

An ant carries food at a speed at 1 cm/s. how long will it take the ant to carry a cookie crumb from the kitchen table to the ant hill, a distance of 50 m? Express youe answer in seconds, minutes and hours.

and

The water in the buffalo raver flows at an average speed a 5km/hr. If you ans a friend decide to canoe down the river a distance of 16 kilometers, How many hours and minutes will it take?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Okay, for both of these we use a simple distance = velocity x time formula or d = vt

For the first problem

velocity v = 1 cm/s

distance d = 50 m

The first step is to convert either velocity to meters/second (m/s) or distance to centimeters (cm). I'm going to convert the distance to centimeters, so 50 meters is equal to 5000 centimeters. Now we plug into d = vt.

5000 cm = (1cm/s)t Solving for t with algebra, we find that t = 5000 seconds

Divide 5000 seconds by 60 (as there are 60 seconds in 1 minute) and we find that it will take 83.3 minutes. Divide minutes by 60 (as there are 60 mins in 1 hour) and we find that it will take 1.39 hours.

Therefore it will take the ant either 5000 seconds, 83.3 minutes, or 1.39 hours.

The second problem, same thing but there are no unit conversions. We are given velocity v = 5 km/hr and distance d = 16 km

Using d = vt, we simply plug in.. so 16 km = (5km/hr)t

Solving for t with algebra we find that t = 3.2 hours. If we multiply this by 60 to find minutes, we find it would take 192 minutes.

Therefore, it will take either 3.2 hours or 192 minutes to canoe down the river.

Hope this helps.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.