Need help deciding a book for an English Project.?

Oh yeah, I have to make a rap out of it describing the mood and all 5 stages of plot development. I'm really into Science Fiction (Ever read the Percy Jackson series?) Or adventure or fantasy. Just not something about a women's struggles as she grows up or how a man feels on the inside when he's in a relationship or whatever. I don't mind romance, but that can't be the whole book, in my opinion. If you really think a book (say "Little Women") is different from my stereotype, let me know, I would be more than happy to read the first chapter. Anyway I've looked over all of them and can't make a decision, so here's the list I have to choose from;

Cat's Eye (Margaret Atwood)

A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway)

The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Kim Edwards)

The Namesake (Jhumpa Lahiri)

A Raisin in the Sun (Lorraine Hansberry)

Reservation Blues (Sherman Alexie)

Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)

Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier)

Emma (Jane Austen)

A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams)

Frakenstein (Mary Shelley)

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

Black Boy (Richard Wright)

Bless Me, Ultima (Rudolfo Anaya)

A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)

A High Wind in Jamaica (Richard Hughes)

Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

Native Speaker (Chang-Rae Lee)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

Light in August (William Faulkner)

A Lesson Before Dying (Ernest Gaines)

The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)

Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)

The Color Purple (Alice Walker)

The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury)

• Don
    Favorite Answer

Ender's game is one of my favorite books

The main character is a super genius kid and there's a lot of action and great moral conflict that is not religious. Very well written.

My suggestions:

Emma (Jane Austen)- Very cool, as is Austen's work, but can be harder to follow.

Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)- Is your type of book, it sounds like.

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)- Classical.

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)- Has a fair amount of humor in it.

Macbeth (William Shakespeare)- VERY, VERY interesting if you can understand Shakespearean language- a fantasy type book that has fairies ;)

The Color Purple (Alice Walker)- Never read myself, but I've never heard anything bad about it.

Book I'd stear clear of:

The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury)- I always had a hard time understanding and following anything by Bardbury.

Source(s): My brain.
  • Kate

Don't pick Wuthering Heights then?

Personally I like The Hobbit and Emma.

I had to read A Farewell to Arms in school. So its pretty good for "school" type analysis stuff you'll have to do. Not fantasy, but war-type adventure.

The Hobbit - simple enough to read but in no way basic. Definitely a classic fantasy adventure. Give it a try! and then you'll really be able to enjoy the new movie next year :)

Hope this helps

Kate

I recommend "The Hobbit". It is an entertaining (and classic!) book that is perfect for a quick, enjoyable book. Plus, if you like The Lord of the Rings movies, you will already connect with some of the characters. They are coming out with a movie in 2012, for The Hobbit, too.

The Alchemist is another good read, and I also liked The Martian Chronicles. They are new enough to be entertaining, unlike a lot of "classic" books.