Advice on achieving a desired atmosphere?

I'm writing a dark fantasy story. It's not very high fantasy, I hope not anyway. Basically it involves a shaman's wanderings around a ruined land, while he's haunted by a demon. It's very brutal, but more sad and scary than swashbuckling or epic. I want it to feel like a hopeless, dark... show more I'm writing a dark fantasy story. It's not very high fantasy, I hope not anyway. Basically it involves a shaman's wanderings around a ruined land, while he's haunted by a demon. It's very brutal, but more sad and scary than swashbuckling or epic.

I want it to feel like a hopeless, dark journey, where everything wants to eat the main character. Any advice on ways to achieve it?

Also, I would ask people to read the plot summary and tell me what they think the atmosphere is like, but it's so long that nobody every reads it...
Update: *ever reads it