What's the best course of action to take on a former boss who is creating wrongful accusations about you?

I was warned by an office mate before that my former boss maligns former employees who are not in the fancy list, whenever companies call for a background check. I listened to the warning in passing since I thought such an issue wouldn't involve me, i did my job with dedication and I mind my own work. I also am... show more I was warned by an office mate before that my former boss maligns former employees who are not in the fancy list, whenever companies call for a background check. I listened to the warning in passing since I thought such an issue wouldn't involve me, i did my job with dedication and I mind my own work. I also am not one to go around involving myself in things not office-related.

One thing I noted when I joined that company was the set-up was relaxed and the manager allowed employees to juggle two or three jobs in different companies. Since it was a set-up which I may possibly be in considering my line of work, I informed my manager in advance that if I ever come across an offer which will complement the work that I'm doing there (will enhance/improve my skills) coming from a good company, I will accept it but i'll be adjusting my negotiations with the prospective company according to my work requirements at the current. The manager said there's no problem with that.

I had to let go of a number of good opportunities, the position and the package better than the existing I had, because the owners/executives wanted me to focus on their company alone, either quitting on the current office or putting it on the sidelines. I didn't wanna do that because I loved what I was doing in that office plus I already made my commitment. I didn't wanna abuse the fact that I was allowed to get another job.

And then I was offered a job by a big brand name whose executives are quite well-versed with the trends in our industry, who knew what they were doing and had a system to back them up. I knew right away that working in both companies would make it a win-win situation for all of us. I'/d be able to apply all the advancement of skills and knowledge i'd learn on both companies.

I asked the new employer what the schedule is on their side during the negotiations phase and told him I have to ask for my direct head's permission first before i'll confirm. I then informed my manager in the existing office and asked what sched they'd want for me (the sched in that office is flexible. employees often request it and more so for me because if I change my sched, it would jive with my direct head's time, so it's actually more viable for us.). The manager said , we'll ask the direct head first. I asked her if I can ask permission from my head directly but she said, she'll do it.

I said it's ok but requested if i can get the answer before a certain date since the other company would already want me to start and if ever I couldn't work for them, I want to advise them promptly, too so that they won't close the door to the one who's next in line.
I did not receive any feedback from my manager so i asked her a few times for an update. she said she hasn't talked to him yet. i asked her if she thought there would be a problem with the shift schedule, she said, maybe none. I waited till the last minute and asked her again if it's ok that i talk to the head directly since actually it was the protocol/ hierarchy i was advised to do during the hiring period. She said I couldn't because my direct head's on a cruise. prior to that though, they were communicating.
Since she said there might not be a problem, I already sought permission and informed her long before, and the change in schedule would actually be beneficial to my direct head and me, I then accepted the offer from the other company.
I started my first day at the new office. Supposed to be, my shift at the current job would then be several hours after my new job, but when I called for an update, again my manager acted like informing my head isn't on her priority list. That's when I decided I would resign. I didn't want to short change any of the two companies and at the same time I don't wanna be violating any policies more so when I did my part to ensure I am in line with my responsibilities as an employee.
More importantly, I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any undeserved infractions meted me. You see, a week or so prior, that same manager has called me to her office saying I had already been late twice (or was it once) in a month and if I be late one more time, she'd suspend me. That made me wonder because as per office policy, you'd have to get verbal then written warnings first then if you continue being late, that's when you'll be suspended. It wasn't even three times yet, but there i was being given a warning, and to add to that it would be suspension straight out. to top it all, being late was almost the norm in that office, a lot of the manager's friends are almost always late, including the manager herself. I was wondering what was going on but I didn't push anymore. I just listened to what she said and promised myself, I wouldn't be late.
The month ended and I made good on that promise. I later found out during the
Update: I later found out during the day that the biometrics clock was adjusted a number of minutes advanced. The one who did it said he was just following orders. Another officemate confirmed it. Given the aforementioned situation, I didn't want infractions of being absent or AWOL meted me in lieu of the change in... show more I later found out during the day that the biometrics clock was adjusted a number of minutes advanced. The one who did it said he was just following orders. Another officemate confirmed it.

Given the aforementioned situation, I didn't want infractions of being absent or AWOL meted me in lieu of the change in schedule, which my manager knew about but my direct head MAY or MAY NOT have any knowledge of yet.( I had no way of knowing since the manager didn't permit me to call him directly). Since the manager said that the head was out on a cruise for about a week or so, then that translated to my working on a different shift technically without any permission on paper. Since I didn't wanna be in violation of rules and the office manager's not offering any solutions
to help fix the situation (which shouldn't have been a problem at all, actually), I decided to resign instead.

Later did I find out that there were allusions being made as to why I parted ways with the company.

It should
Update 2: It should be noted that all throughout, I was doing more than what was expected from me in the office and I had no issues that I know of with the manager (that's why the possible suspension warning caught me off-guard. it came out of the blue, i was clueless about what made me earn her ire. An officemate warned me... show more It should be noted that all throughout, I was doing more than what was expected from me in the office and I had no issues that I know of with the manager (that's why the possible suspension warning caught me off-guard. it came out of the blue, i was clueless about what made me earn her ire.

An officemate warned me prior that if the manager suddenly acted weird on me me he was the reason. He said people were having wrong notions about "us" and the manager was jealous. i didn't wanna give that claim much credence since first, there's nothing to be jealous about, second, i didn't even notice that the manager liked him that way, 3rd, a gentleman wouldn't claim such a thing ergo I didn't give much weight to the statement.

Whatever triggered the change, I no longer wanna think about that. What I wanna know though is what measures can employees do if an executive of a previous company is creating wrongful accusations that's gonna affect you on a professional level?

0 seconds ago