Does it seem like its hip to be crazy?

These days? It seems all of the younger folks have some sort of anxiety/eating/depression/PTSD/OCD/ADHD/add/panic/fibromyalgia etc etc etc disorder.

I have a younger friend when I say younger I mean in her late 20's who has "panic attacks" when going over bridges.

The woman has kids and a husband yet she shakes and cries as if her toenails were being removed when she drives over a bridge.

It's ridiculous and I'm sure her kids will grow up acting in the same retarded fashion.

Sometimes she even vomits in a bag.

Bq: fibromyalgia, real or made up?

I take Prozac for my Pms. I go crazy for a few weeks out of the month. Its nothing that I tell people, I prefer to keep my shame to myself. I think people think its ok to be weak these days, we're creating a society of wimps.

If you can't cope get help. Don't just complain and whine about it. If you are depressed get out of bed and do something.

Its not pretty Bill, not pretty at all. She has to drive in the center lane she clutches the wheel and pants. It's pathetic once I drove and I tried to go in the outer lane and she cried. Not quiet tears, mind you. Loud exaggerated cries. I wanted to slug her.

It's not that I don't believe in mental illnesses or these disorders, I just feel like people don't take them seriously.

OCD is more than just being clean and neat. Panic attacks are more than just irrational fears, anxiety is more than just worrying.

Favorite Answer

Urgh. Yeah, people generally think it's 'hip' or 'cool' to have some sort of illness--especially mental/emotional based. Unfortunately, many ignorant individuals don't understand the whole picture of what a true mental illness is like and how it can COMPLETELY ruin your life.

Like, I used to have a 4.6 GPA--and great attendence during my Freshman year. By my senior year, I was failing 3+ classes a semester and missed over 80 days that year. And got pulled out for the majority of 3 spring semesters for hospital/home schooling. It's a miracle I graduated.

I tend to roll my eyes at some of my peers when they brag, or rather excessively tell about their disorder experiences--when they just got diagnosed with lesser severe cases of the disorders that were frying my body, brain, and future. (Not saying they don't have them--It just upset me that they would brag about them for pity or social clicks.)

And just to add I was diagnosed with:

-Bipolar I Disorder w/Psychosis

-Paranoid Schizophrenia

(Which contain all the symptoms of ADHD, OCD, and Anxiety Disorders)

And by the end, I was experiencing full on neuropathy and serotonin intoxication.

I was on NINE medications to 'try' to combat these chemical imbalances and physical ailments. I'm even on nausea medication for cancer patients. It's the strongest stuff on the market and I can't stand up or function with out it. Worst 4 years of my life. So I can say I get upset with the idea that crazy is "in" style and especially when its "cool" to be on an anti-depressant.

And it makes me upset that these young adults will seek pity for their disorders. Any day would I switch with them.

ARGH. And then I started seeing my therapist again, and we discussed my narcissistic/histrionic cycle. Don't even wanna go there. It just never ends. D::<

Source(s): FML

BQA: Hmm, good question. I have a friend with fibromyalgia, but she's a little crazy, so taking her word for it might not be a wise idea.

I wonder if it's not so much a matter of it being hip to be crazy as it is that more people are accepting that mental disorders such as depression and anxiety are normal. The crux of this acceptance though is that, we accept it rather than telling people to suck it up.

Edit: I believe there has to be a balance of acceptance and telling people to get a grip. Like you, I don't broadcast my depression/anxiety, but I'm honest about it. I also don't use it as an excuse like some people.

PS SG my wife gets restless leg syndrome mostly when her iron levels are low. I think it's more of a symptom than a syndrome though.

Re-Edit: Just wanted to correct owlet by stating that depression/anxiety meds etc. do not leave people "emotionally numb". Many mental disorders are a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain, so the chemically altering you refer to is actually resetting the brain to it's proper state so that people can experience other feelings.

j0e

Source(s): On meds for depression/anxiety for over 5 years.
  • words

I may not be very qualified to answer this question, as I have never been medicated or diagnosed with any sort of emotional disorder.

I do not mean to dismiss anyone with a valid disorder that needs help, but I do believe that people are over-medicated and over-diagnosed. Seriously, who hasn't been depressed at some point in their lives, or anxious? I don't think people should go through life emotionally numb- it is normal to feel things, instead of having your brain chemically altered.

I had a friend that wanted gastric bypass surgery, but she was not considered overweight enough to qualify, so she asked her doctor for Prozac to make her feel better about being overweight. I couldn't believe it.

BA: Yes, I believe fibromyalgia is real- for some. I know two people who have it, but they do not medicate for it, but choose to manage it with diet, etc. I learned that people who were physically abused as children can develop it, and that made me very sad.

I agree with Joseph. Also, you need to remember that teenagers are getting more and more intelligent as the years go by, so it could be that they've probably stumbled upon a description behind a mental disorder, "wondered" what it would be like to have it, or perhaps wondered if they did. The result is that they could be ending up diagnosing themselves with a serious mental diseas to one small attribute they have that likens to that disease. Like, for example, because they're feeling sad at any given moment, they conclude that they're "clinically depressed"; and in turn, hold onto that sadness so that the people around them can ALSO confirm their "clinically depressed". It's also a form of seeking attention. We also need to consider that the media is becoming more and more involved in people's lives, so teenagers are seeking more ways to become "unique". But as the access any given population has to documents regarding mental illnesses, and other human behaviours, or studies, increases combined with the new "trend" of being unique the media gives off, it's becoming more "convenient" to have a mental disorder than to be intelligent and grow up. Because it just so happens that the latter is just plain boring. And what can teenagers do other than make up stuff in order to have fun when they have access to all they could ever need in a developed country?

Source(s): Speaking from an 18 year-old teenager's point of view - I see too many people acting like this around me in my generation. It makes me sick.

OCD is over rated. I cannot tell you how many teens on YA say they are struggling with some form of obsessive compulsive disorder- and probably none of them where actually diagnosed by a real professional! I am a sufferer of anxiety attacks and hypochondria, but I don't go around with a big neon sign on my head. Yes, I agree, it annoys the hell out of me when someone THAT KNOWS they are having a panic attack over dramatizes it!

Is it? It doesn't say that on any of the release papers I got when I got out of the hospitals. I liked Prozac. Made me a happy camper and I don't like the out of doors. You take it cause you go crazy a few weeks a month? That's all there is a month. Man... Medical pot would do you some good, sister.

Luv ya margo.

Source(s): .Your friend must be a blast on the Blatnik.

I'm not saying anything about people who have genuine mental issues, but people who try to pass off quirks or crappy behavior as a mental condition should get the hell slapped out of them. It's funny, because I actually DO get panic attacks, and I wish they were as simple as shaking and crying. I think people nowadays just want to medicate their defects into submission rather than working on them.

An associate of mine swears her son is autistic for the simple fact that he won't listen to her and do what she says... He's 3, of course he won't. But that's ok, her doctor is all over it ready to set him up on some meds

I'm batshet nuts, Margo. Several medical professionals have insisted that I should be medicated,.... yet none of them have offered to pay me $75k annually to sit at home sedated. I have the same symptoms as your "friend" does when I'm told I have to attend dinner parties or school functions.

Didn't you hear crazy is the new black ? You walk in to your doctors office and tell him/her you feel bad about your self and like magic your Clinically Depressed..lol I think SOME people(Not All people with mental illness) use it so they don’t have to take responsibility for them selves

It's a natural byproduct of our profit-based healthcare system: Doctors have an incentive to sell customers what they want, instead of just prescribing their patients what they need.