? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Latin speakers only (google translate guys go away no one like you)?

How would you translate "The Tree of Life" into Latin?

Google translate gave me this: Lignum Vitae.

But I know better than to trust it.

Also, please write all possible ways to translate it to Latin (like, if there are multiple ways of "tree" and/or "life" [synonyms] then write them down).

Thank you.

I'm talking about the biblical tree of life, the one that was made alongside the tree of knowledge.

Favorite Answer

The Tree of Life normally refers to th The Cross (especially when you write it in Latin).

Lignum Vitae literally means The Timber of Life - but is the way one would normally refer to the The Cross.

If you mean Yggdrasil (or something like that) you would probably say Arbor Vitae.

......

Genesis 3:22 in the Vulgate reads:

et ait ecce Adam factus est quasi unus ex nobis sciens bonum et malum nunc ergo ne forte mittat manum suam et sumat etiam de ligno vitae et comedat et vivat in aeternum

So the phrase you want is 'lignum vitae' ('de ligno vitae' mean 'from the Tree of Life').

"arbor" is another Latin word for tree, but I can only guess that it's masculine since "arbre" is in French.

I don't know a lot of Latin speakers, for some reason.

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theatre of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to:

M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc. Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A.

along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes."

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

you are picking my nerves, you know that right?