C-37 law Canadian Citizenship?

So I was surfing the web, reading Dwayne Johnson's biography when I came across the "One Generation Abroad" rule. This law states that any first generation abroad child, born to at least one Canadian citizen, gains automatic citizenship. Or at least I think it does.

Here's the deal: my father was born in London, Ontario in 1955. His family moved to California when he was 10, 12 years old. In 1970-something my half sister was born. Then in 1992, (in California) I was born. My dad maintained Canadian Citizenship and here we are.

Questions: under this law, enforced in 2009, would I automatically have the right to claim Canadian Citizenship?

Because my half sister was born 2 decades before me does that stop me from claiming citizenship, or as children of a Canadian could we both be granted citizenship?

And finally, just for the-fun-of-saying-it; if it's true that I can claim citizenship; can I consider myself a Canadian Citizen or do I have to go through all that paperwork? (Even though I know the answer I'd still like to think I can start telling people I have citizenship to Canada and not have to lie about it.)

Thanks bunches =)

5 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I think both you and your step-sister qualify for Canadian citizenship.

    The law applies to the first generation of children born abroad to a Canadian parent.

    And that's what you both are: the first generation.

    Your children (and any kids your step-sister has/will-have) would be considered 2nd generation.

    I found this website for you about "Lost Canadians" - http://www.lostcanadians.org/

    In the FAQ section is this quote:

    "All individuals born outside Canada in the first generation born abroad to a parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of the birth, are automatically recognized as Canadian citizens"

    Here's the link for that - https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgs65rwg_61fsxxv9g...

    If you read through it, and scroll down, there's a link to Citizenship & Immigration Canada's application form for Lost Canadians and instructions.

    Never mind calling yourself Canadian for the fun of it.

    If you are, get your butt up here soon as you get it confirmed because Canada's a way better country than the US.

    Canada's got a higher quality of life than the US - http://www.canadaupdates.com/content/better-qualit...

    A better economy - http://www.economywatch.com/economy-business-and-f...

    The cost of higher education is cheaper and our education system's better - http://www.livingabroadincanada.com/2010/07/26/can...

    There's way less crime too - http://ca.travel.yahoo.com/guides/Other/761/top-10...

    Plus we've got way better healthcare - http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20060530/canada_u...

    Plus so much more that it'd take literally hours to explain it all.

    Healthcare might not seem important when you're young and healthy, but it truly is.

    Canada has universal healthcare that covers everything: neonatal care, preventive care, primary & emergency care, diagnostic care & follow up care

    Unlike the US, we get whatever a doctor says is medically-necessary without limit or limitation.

    There's no medical bills, no forms to fill out, and no denials for pre-existing medical conditions.

    You could get hit by a bus, spend years in hospital and physical rehab, and it won't cost you a dime.

    The US has nothing that even comes close.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Yes, you are likely a Canadian Citizen and so is your half-sister. No, you do not have to formalize it, but I recommend that you do. The paperwork is not difficult, it will just take seven to ten months of waiting to obtain official documentation (and you receive a nifty card). There is a $75C fee. You will need your father's birth certificate. It does not matter if he was naturalized American or not (which I see he was not). Please see Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website (cic.gc.ca) and you can find out more. You would be applying for Proof of Canadian Citizenship, not for applying for citizenship. Best of luck!

    Source(s): cic.gc.ca
    • Login to reply the answers
  • bettey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    you will do it considering the fact which you're a "interior reach-born citizen of Canada." Any babies you have would be Canadian voters - even with the place they're born. The substitute you noted limits the form of generations that Canadian citizenship could be handed down in this type. So in the journey that your new child (new child A) has a new child (new child B) born outdoors Canada, new child B (your grandchild) does not be a Canadian citizen. it incredibly is because of the fact new child B's parent (new child A) became NEITHER a "interior reach-born citizen of Canada or a distant places-born yet naturalized citizen of Canada" - because of the fact new child A obtained citizenship with the aid of descent.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

    Second generation doesn't mean your dad's first daughter and then you are his second daugther...

    It means that as your father's child, you are his first generation. Which makes any child of his a Canadian citizen automatically.

    As a Canadian citizen now, if you have a child born outside of Canada, they will NOT be eligible for Canadian citizenship under this law as they are the "second generation."

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Dual citizenship

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.