Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 9 years ago

I need help please!!!! :(?

I need a thesis statement on jim crow laws. what i have so far is really weak. "One of the most popularly known laws, were known as ‘Jim Crow Laws’. Jim Crow was the name of the racial social system which operated predominantly, but not entirely in southern and Border States, between 1877 and the 1960s." i want something that really gets the readers attention, like a rhetorical question, or a shocking fact. please help me, it's due tomorrow. it's also informative.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Jim Crow laws were state and local laws in the United States enacted between 1876 and 1965. They mandated de jure segregation in all public facilities, with a "separate but equal" status for black Americans and members of other non-white racial groups.

Some examples of Jim Crow laws are the segregation of public schools, public places and public transportation, and the segregation of restrooms and restaurants for whites and blacks. The U.S. military was also segregated. These Jim Crow Laws were separate from the 1800-66 Black Codes, which had also restricted the civil rights and civil liberties of African Americans. State-sponsored school segregation was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court of the United States in 1954 in Brown v. Board of Education. Generally, the remaining Jim Crow laws were overruled by the Civil Rights Act of 1964[1] and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

In addition to the problems that Southerners encountered in learning free labor management after the end of slavery, Black Americans represented the Confederacy's Civil War defeat: "With white supremacy challenged throughout the South, many whites sought to protect their former status by threatening African Americans who exercised their new rights."[8] White Democrats used their power to segregate public spaces and facilities in law and reestablish dominance over blacks in the South.

One rationale for the systematic exclusion of Black Americans from southern public society was that it was for their own protection. An early 20th century scholar suggested that having allowed Blacks in White schools would mean "constantly subjecting them to adverse feeling and opinion", which might lead to "a morbid race consciousness".[9] This perspective took anti-Black sentiment for granted, because bigotry was widespread in the South.

Source(s): A person on yahoo answers named VaultLikeCrazy.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.