promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does anybody know of any good books about scandinavian/norse mythology?

I'm looking for something that will just tell me the stories of what happened. Thank you!

XOXO

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Primary Sources

The Prose Edda:

The Poetic Edda

Tacitus

Heimskringla

Saxo Grammaticus

Sagas of Icelanders

Beowulf

Secondary Sources:

Crossley-Holland, Kevin. The Norse Myths: Gods of the Vikings. Harmondsworth, Middlesex: Penguin, 1980.

Page, R.I. Norse Myths. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1990.

Davidson, H.R. Ellis. Gods and Myths of the Viking Age. New York: Bell Publishing, 1964. [The same work has also been published as a Penguin paperback under the title Gods and Myths of Northern Europe.]

Turville-Petre, E.O.G. Myth and Religion of the North. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1964.

Simek, Rudolf. Dictionary of Northern Mythology. Trans. Angela Hall. Woodbridge, Suffolk: D.S. Brewer, 1993.

Davidson, H.R. Ellis. Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1988.

Dubois, Thomas A. Nordic Religions in the Viking Age. Philadephia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999.

Owen, Gale R. Rites and Religions of the Anglo-Saxons. New York: Dorset Press, 1985.

Green, D.H. Language and History in the Early Germanic World. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.

Todd, Malcolm. The Early Germans. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1992.

Foote, P.G. and D.M. Wilson. The Viking Achievement: the Society and Culture of Early Medieval Scandinavia. London: Sidgwick and Jackson, 1970.

Wilson, David M. The Vikings and their Origins: Scandinavia in the First Millenium. London: Thames and Hudson, 1970.

Elliot, Ralph W.V. Runes: An Introduction. 2nd ed. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1989

Page, R.I. Reading the Past: Runes. London: British Museum Press, 1987

Halsall, Maureen. The Old English Rune Poem: A Critical Edition. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1981.

Mallory, J.P. In Search of the Indo-Europeans: Language, Archaeology, and Myth. London: Thames and Hudson, 1989.

Puhvel, Jaan. Comparative Mythology. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1987.

Watkins, Calvert. The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots. 2nd ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.

McEvedy, Colin. The New Penguin Atlas of Ancient History. 2nd ed. London: Penguin, 2002.

Milisauskas, Sarunas, ed. European Prehistory: A Survey. New York: Springer, 2002.

Fantasy:

Anderson, Poul. Hrolf Kraki's Saga. Novelization of the life of the semi-legendary hero Hrolf Kraki.

Anderson, Poul. War of the Gods. Based largely on Saxo Grammaticus, this novel recounts the life of the Norse hero Hadding.

Crichton, Michael. Eaters of the Dead. The first couple of chapters are taken from the (real) manuscript of Ibn Fadlan. The rest is Crichton's imaginative reinterpretation of Beowulf told in Ibn Fadlan's style. This novel was the basis for the film The Thirteenth Warrior.

Grundy, Stephan. Rhinegold and Attila’s Treasure. A two-novel sequence based on the Volsung myth cycle.

Harrison, Harry. The Hammer and the Cross; One King’s Way; and King and Emperor. An alternate-history series about Heathens who successfully organize to resist Christianity in medieval times.

Holt, Tom. Who’s Afraid of Beowulf? Comic fantasy about twelve Norse warriors who wake from an enchanted sleep in modern Britain. The more lore you’ve read, the funnier it is.

Paxson, Diana L. Brisingamen. Freyja's necklace surfaces in modern-day California.

Paxson, Diana L. The Wolf and the Raven; The Dragons of the Rhine; and The Lord of Horses. Together these constitute Paxson’s "Wodan’s Children" fantasy trilogy based on the Volsung myth cycle.

Source(s): "Anybody who offends a more powerful man can hardly expect to wear out many more new shirts." - The Saga of Thorstein Staff-struck
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Loki: Why I Began the End, by Maia Jacomus

Loki, by Mike Vasich

The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths, by Padriac Colum (free on Amazon Kindle)

Prose Edda Translation

These are all wonderul accounts of my history as a Norse god. I assure you that they are as true as they could be.

• 5 years ago

Kevin Woodbridge suggests that this is where innovators like Ambient Water can be useful. The startup out of Spokane, Washington, has come up with atmospheric water generation systems that allow for the harvesting of water from the atmosphere in sizable quantities. The company’s most popular product, Ambient Water 400, is able to produce up to 400 gallons of water each day, enough to satisfy the daily needs of an average family of four according to Kevin Woodbridge.

• 9 years ago

I personally do not but if you still know how to find your way around a library...they have lots of books and videos. Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Beowulf.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.