NadroJ asked in SportsBaseball · 8 years ago

which pitcher , batter duo would win?

round 1: justin verlander , robinson cano vs roy halladay , prince fielder. clayton kershaw , ryan bruan vs cc sabathia , matt kemp. ian kennedy , dan uggla vs jered weaver , jose bautista. cliff lee , curtis granderson vs cj wilson , ryan howard

round 2:

finals:

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

it's a toss up between verlander and cano, and lee and granderson

• 8 years ago

Round 1. Halladay + feidler. I think the batter who can hit more homeruns will win against those pitchers.

Clayton + Ryan will win. It is a close call but I just think Clayton is harder to hit than CC.

Jered Weaver + Jose Bautista will win. The only good thing about Dan is his power and Jose is better than him in that department. Jered is better than Ian as well.

Lee + Curtis will win. Lee will murder Ryan Howard.

Round 2. Clayton + Ryan will beat Halladay + Fielder. Clayton will murder lefthand hitter and Ryan is a beast against good pitching.

Lee + Curtis will win. It is a very close call but lefty pitcher against left hand hitter is better than righty pitcher against right hand hitter.

Final: Clayton + Ryan will win the finals. Again, Ryan absolutely murders good pitching and he is against a lefty. Ryan is also more consistent.

• 8 years ago

Using OPS as the best single stat for pitcher-batter matchups and keeping in mind the number of ABs to see if it looks representative:

NOTE: When there is no data I extrapolated by adding the most similar players according to Baseball-Reference who have faced the opponents. I add the most similar pitcher vs. the batter and the pitcher vs. the most similar batter.

Round 1:

Verlander vs. Fielder: OPS .000 in 6 AB

Halladay vs. Cano: OPS .725 in 51 AB

Winner: Verlander and Cano

Sabathia vs. Braun: (using Roy Halladay and Manny Ramirez) OPS 1.929 in 28 AB

Kershaw vs. Kemp: (using Dontrelle Willis and Carlos Beltran) OPS .300 in 10 AB

Winner: Kershaw and Braun

Kennedy vs. Bautista: (Never face each other and no adequate comps, especially considering their recent improvements. I'm using Beltran vs. Willis since they faced each other in their peaks when they were about as good as Kennedy and Bautista, who are peaking now) OPS .790 in 31 AB

Weaver vs. Uggla: (using Cole Hammels and Aaron Hill) OPS .816 in 49 AB

Winner: Uggla and Kennedy, but it's close. I have faith in Kennedy in big spots against top guys too, having watched him coming up as a Yankee.

Lee vs. Howard: (using Dan Haren and Prince Fielder) 1.833 OPS in 12 AB

Granderson vs. Wilson: OPS 1.417 in 3 AB this season (.522 OPS in 9 AB overall)

Winner: Granderson and Lee. This one is also a tough call. The comps aren't great, but I think I have to give it to Granderson and Lee even though the raw numbers go the other way.

Rount 2: (this time no comps are needed. This guys have all faced each other plenty)

Verlander vs. Granderson: OPS .952 in 6 AB

Lee vs. Cano: OPS .427 in 37 AB

Winner: Granderson and Lee

Kershaw vs. Uggla: OPS .237 in 12 AB

Kennedy vs. Braun: OPS .833 in 6 AB

Winner: Kershaw and Braun

Finals:

Kershaw vs. Granderson: .000 OPS in 3 AB

Lee vs. Braun: OPS .667 in 6 AB

This one is very close. Granderson and Braun are both leading MVP contenders in their respective leagues and Lee is considered the favorite slightly over Kershaw (who is 3rd) for NL Cy Young. There haven't been enough at bats for the numbers to mean too much. Based largely on Brauns superior average and, as a result, superior OPS, I'm going to say the winner is:

Kershaw and Braun

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

fielder halladay

sabathia kemp

weaver bautista duh

lee granderson

rd 2 fielder halladay

weaver bautista

rd 3 weaver bautista

but wut about playera like tim lincecum? hes betr than sabathia, wilson, kershaw, and lee (idk about weaver i dont know him well enuf) and if i say hes better than halladay i will get too many east coast people saying how rong i am but i think he is (most k's since he came up and one of the best eras just saying) a good combo would have been timmy beltran (hottest hitter in baseball rite now 11-14 with a hr 2 triples and 3 doubles)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

JV and Cano

Sabathia and Kemp

Weaver and Bautista

Lee and Granderson

JV and Cano

Weaver and Bautista

Winner: JV and Cano

• 8 years ago

What are they playing? Foose Ball? Table Tennis? Madden 12?

• 8 years ago

idk sorry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.