Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

I thought the tea party was grass roots? Why are the koch brothers hosting a millionaire retreat at the Ritz?

Exclusive Audio: Inside the Koch Brothers' Secret Seminar

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/exclusive-...

Here are just a few of their so call "grass roots" supporters:

The Cortopassis: Dean "Dino" Cortopassi and his wife, Joan, hail from Stockton, California. This article, which identifies the pair as philanthroposts, calls Dino a "wealthy self-made agribusinessman who is Stocktonian of the Year for 2005." He is suing the state of California for its failure to dredge streams in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

Joe Craft: Joseph Craft is president, CEO, and chairman of Alliance Resource Partners, a coal company based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, that gave $2.4 million to outside political expenditure groups in 2010. His family is reportedly worth $1.9 billion.

Richard DeVosRichard DeVosThe DeVoses: Rich and Helen DeVos hail from Michigan. The cofounder of Amway and owner of the NBA's Orlando Magic, Rich DeVos is reportedly worth in the ballpark of $4.2 billion. The Richard and Helen DeVos Foundation funds conservative Christian groups such as Focus on the Family. The DeVoses are big enough political donors to have their own profile at OpenSecrets.org.

The Farmers: Dick Farmer is from Ohio. The founder and former CEO of the Cintas Corporation, his story is literally rags-to-riches: He turned his father's Depression-era rag-cleaning business into a $3.5 billion enterprise. Farmer and his wife, Joyce, are longtime Republican boosters; during the 2002 election cycle the couple gave about $1 million to the party.

The Friesses: Foster Friess founded the investment firm Friess Associates in 1974 with his wife, Lynn; in 2001, he sold a majority share for $247 million. Friess is a champion of conservative Christian causes and one of Wyoming's richest men. His son, Steve Friess, helps him run the family's philanthropic foundation. (Steve's wife, Polly, was also on the list of Aspen Koch participants.)

The Fullinwiders: Jerry and Leah Fullinwider hail from Dallas. Jerry has pursued oil exploration and development in the United States, Canada, and Russia. He now serves under Ross Perot's son as vice chairman of Hillwood International Energy, which has operations in Iraq and Jordan as well as the United States and Russia. He also has ties to Hilarion Alfeyev, an anti-abortion Russian Orthodox bishop.

The Gilliams: Richard Gilliam and wife, Leslie, are natives of southwest Virginia. Richard founded the Cumberland Resources Corporation, which was one of the nation's largest private coal mining companies when Massey Energy bought it for nearly $1 billion in March 2010. He's now a director with the Vancouver-based mining corporation Endurance Gold.

The Griffins: Ken and Anne Dias Griffin are a hedge fund power couple from Chicago who wed in 2003. Ken is the founder and CEO of Citadel and is reportedly worth $2.3 billion. Anne founded one of the nation's largest woman-run hedge funds, Aragon Global Management. Ken bundled money for both President Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain during the 2008 election.

The Haworths: Richard "Dick" Haworth is the former CEO and chairman emeritus of Haworth, an international office-interiors manufacturer based in Holland, Michigan, that he took over from his father in 1975. The company reported sales of $1.4 billion in 2005, the year he retired. He is married to Ethie Haworth and has donated more than $100,000 to Republican causes, according to OpenSecrets.org.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Curt J
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

And here I thought the Grass Roots were a defunct, 60's singing group.

Source(s): Just my opinion
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

youthful Turks can really live on on severe 1/2-truths. Their arguments are embarrassing...for them. so a thoughts because the Tea events are worried, it certainly all started as a grass-roots flow. notwithstanding, no longer something continues to be that way, those who do understand a thanks to regulate, will come into play. at the same time as they do, they ask for donations. I easily have little question that the Koch's contributed plenty to those communities. it truly is very diverse that "being created" through the Koch brothers. This subtlety is lost on human beings like Cenk Uygur who really understand a thanks to react to topics, no longer imagine about nor understand them.

• level4
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Rich people as well as regular people have a political party that they favor and donate to.So what's the problem? Goerge Soros, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, most of hollywood as well as all the unions support democrats. I have super rich clients that support dems. So what's your point?

• 8 years ago

I like the Koch Brothers. Apparently people aren't real Americans if they are successful in the eyes of a Liberal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Do you consider the Democrats for the "little" people? When were you last invited on John Kerry's new yacht? Mother Jones, oh please a clearly left wing site . Why don't you just quote Das Kapitol.

• 8 years ago

Are you saying Billionaires aren't allowed to host parties for the guests that they choose to invite?

• Green
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Sure, they just have a few billionaires pouring in some money. Exactly when is it that a grass roots movement becomes establishment?

• John E
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I consider myself grass roots. Everyone is welcome in the tea party, no matter how much or how little they make.

• 8 years ago

Sorry, you lost me at Mother Jones. That is a liberal terrorist website...so I didnt read any further because its moot.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

What does that have to do with the Tea Party?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.