Simple real, or disposable cameras?

i'm wondering which i should get for traveling the country. (or even not.)

those disposable cameras come out with some really good quality photos!

and i don't want anything too fancy or difficult, ya know?

should i just get a real camera?

what film is readily available these days?

i have a micro 110 camera but there's no film anywhere! it's all vintage!

maybe it should be digital too, because i'll hopefully be selling my photos on a personal business site.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ara57
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Disposacams are OK for what they are. In the right light, they do OK, but remember they are around 1/100 @ f/11 or thereabouts. They are completely useless for low light, and most are loaded with 800 speed consumer film, which has a fair amount of grain. The lenses are plastic, tiny and fixed. That said, I have indeed seen some good shots from them. That is more due to the photographer than the quality of the camera, as is always the case. But it is doubtful that you would get many marketable images from them.

As for film cameras, there are lots of very good 35mm SLR cameras available used. 35m film is still available, although you might have to order professional film. But most drugstores etc have Kodak and Fuji consumer film on the shelf. Or you can look into a decent 35mm P&S. Olympus had the highly regarded Stylus Epic that was widely carried as a pocket camera a few years back. Canon and Nikon also made some nice pocket cameras, any of which would be better than a disposacam. And film is more compact and easy to carry than a bunch of disposable cameras.

P&S digicams have improved their performance through recent years. Plus you only need a memory card and some batteries or charger. Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony all make fine basic cameras. Try www.dpreview for specs, features, tests and comparisons, and visit a store to handle one for yourself.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I don't think you are going to sell photographs from a disposable camera. For selling postcards, get a good film camera and slide films or a digital one.

Well, a poster of a wonderful photo taken by a great photographer with a very expensive camera costs 30 dollars

• 8 years ago

You will get all kinds of opinionated answers on this question, such as, "Go with Nikon, that's the only camera." or "Choose Canon (not cannon, because you'll blow someones head off with that type of cannon) because they are the best."

Basically, go with a small point-and-shoot, compact, fit in your shirt pocket type of camera that you can safely travel with. There are many brands and types, they all do great for the type of photography you are looking to achieve. Oh yeah, go with digital...film is fun, but you are better off seeing the results while you travel, rather than waiting until you get home and drop the film off to be developed...and then to only be disappointed to see that you didn't get the shot you were hoping to once you get the pictures back.

• 8 years ago

Get a digital point and shoot camera. Simple (no lenses to change, no film to develop). You may not be able to sell your pictures, but at least they'll be nice and easy to get from your camera (no worries about obsolete film like 110 instamatic film)

Source(s): personal experience (my family use to take pictures with 110 film and 126 film) and now they use digital. I use 35mm film and digital.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

If you decide to purchase a 35mm compact camera then an Olympus MJU II is one of my personal favourites. It is widely available on eBay, has a very nice 35mm f/2.8 lens, is weatherproof and can easily fit in a front jeans pocket.

Here is my MJU II Flickr set.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfisher/sets/721576...

• 8 years ago

Get a cheap Cannon, the disposable ones are great, but what if you want to send one to a friend via email? Plus you can use the cannon for as long as it lasts.

• 8 years ago

Why not a good, basic digital?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.