What city should 2 young, fun American females move in Australia?

Hello there! I am a 24 year old who just recently graduated college and have decided to move to Australia on a one year holiday working visa. My 20 year old sister has decided to take a semester (or possibly a year) off of college to join me on my adventure. I studied abroad in Rome, Italy last year for 6 months... show more Hello there! I am a 24 year old who just recently graduated college and have decided to move to Australia on a one year holiday working visa. My 20 year old sister has decided to take a semester (or possibly a year) off of college to join me on my adventure. I studied abroad in Rome, Italy last year for 6 months and absolutely LOVED it! I traveled all over Europe every single weekend and loved indulging in all the different cultures.

I have 3 guy friends from high school who are moving to St. Kilda (below Melbourne) this month and I was originally just going to follow them out to the same city. My sister and I just got approved for our visas and have one way flights to Melbourne mid- October. I've been researching jobs, apartments, and nightlife in St. Kilda and it definitely seems to be fun, but also has me wondering if it's the best place to choose out of all the other popular cities in Australia.

What were looking for is:
-somewhere with a pretty common nightlife.. we will both just be getting restaurant jobs and will want to have the option to go out for some drinks and meet new people on any day of the week since we won't know anybody at first
-a city with a lot to explore and things to do.. like beaches, museums, concerts, etc.

I'm from San Francisco (and my sister still lives there) but have lived in San Diego for the past 6 years. These are 2 big cities with lots to do and see and I hope to move to another culturally diverse city that I can learn to love. We are both very outgoing girls and LOVE to meet new people. We also would love to travel to other countries during our stay.

So is St Kilda a perfect town for us? Or would Melbourne be better since it's a huge city, and we could just travel to St Kilda whenever we wanted? Also, a lot of people are saying Sydney is pretty awesome too. Any thoughts from anyone who has lived in Australia with a similar lifestyle as us would be appreciated. We've never even been to Australia so we're going in blind.

At first St. Kilda was the plan just because I was following my 3 friends but now that I have my sister, I don't mind changing my itinerary a bit :)