Did you take the ASVAB test "COLD" or did you buy a study book & study it for 30 days before taking the test?

Did you purchase an ASVAB study book and worked it cover to cover before taking this test? OR: Did you take it COLD? If you don't score above 50% on the AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test) you might be sent back home to study for a month before they will let you retest. So, you are better off -... show more Did you purchase an ASVAB study book and worked it cover to cover before taking this test?
OR: Did you take it COLD?

If you don't score above 50% on the AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test) you might be sent back home to study for a month before they will let you retest.

So, you are better off - taking the MONTH to study up BEFORE you take it the first time.

And, if you miss the mark the 2nd time - you have to wait 6 months before they will let you retest for a 3rd time.

Now, go to the book store at the mall or strip mall and for $20 bucks buy one of the 5 published copies of the ASVAB work book. IF you do 15 pages a day from the 450 page book you can finish in 30 days.

THEN, go test. You do NOT do yourself any favors by taking the test COLD if you have not bought the ASVAB study book and worked it cover to cover. That book is the "MILITARY RESUME" to even be IN the service and to qualify for any job that his 9 ASVAB Line Scores qualify for.

NO ONE should EVER visit a recruiter UNTIL he/she has worked the ASVAB study book. NEVER.

The official ASVAB test is 3 hours long. In sections. You get about 1 minute a question. That's why you NEED to pre-study. And, your best girl/guy friend can help you by giving you the "timed" practice tests from the book to make sure you don't CHEAT. That's the only way you can learn to take the test under pressure.

For the Air Force and Marines they want a 50% AFQT score to even start any paperwork. The Army and Navy might take a little less. But, you should not take the test COLD. NEVER.

The Service will always be there. In fact, you will have to wait up to 12 months anyway in the DEP (Delayed Enlistment Program) just to get shipped out to basic training. 8 months wait seems usual today from what people write in about. So, why NOT take a fresh month to study. At this point on the calendar you are never going to go in the military before Christmas anyway. In fact, it might be until next April - May 2012 before you get the call to report.

Best wishes,

Larry Smith
Senior Master Sergeant, USAF (Ret.)
First Sergeant

Previous military experience of 27 years: 1961 – 1989
Illinois Probation Officer of 12 years: 1989 - 2001
A.A. Liberal Arts: Chapman University: 1978
A.A.S. Ground Radar Technology: Community College of the Air Force: 1978
B.S. Government and Political Thought; University of Maryland; 1982
Graduate Studies: Public Administration: Governors State University: 1993
Update: Thanks, everybody. It is nice to see that we have "smart" people who can get a high score with little ease. But, based on the folks that lament here and got low scores, I will vote for the majority to be like Dena K. and Tema. Because they knew little about what was on the ASVAB before the took the "official"... show more Thanks, everybody. It is nice to see that we have "smart" people who can get a high score with little ease.

But, based on the folks that lament here and got low scores, I will vote for the majority to be like Dena K. and Tema. Because they knew little about what was on the ASVAB before the took the "official" test, they didn't enjoy their military experience. Had they devoted a month to study and a $20 Alexander Hamilton for the book, I am quite sure they would have improved their scores!

If you go to college without practicing the ACT or SAT book then you are hampering yourself equally like not taking the ASVAB book and working it FIRST for the military. You don't know if you are even going to get a job out of college. But, you darn well know that you are getting a military job that pays you a salary just be enlisting. And, you don't even have to pay for the training!

Sure the recruiter's little pop quiz is easy. He/She wants a quota. And, it makes no difference to them i
Update 2: I never took the ASVAB. The ASVAB came into being in 1968. I entered the Air Force in 1961. All branches of the service adopted it in 1976. I believe I took "some kind of test" but, I can't remember what it was after 50 years ago!
Update 3: @ akluis. You sound like an angry person. The reason for my initial question is because so many people who get a score below 50% on the AFQT contact me about what to do to improve their scores for the retest. If one has to take another month before retesting then it makes sense to me for all to take that month... show more @ akluis. You sound like an angry person.

The reason for my initial question is because so many people who get a score below 50% on the AFQT contact me about what to do to improve their scores for the retest. If one has to take another month before retesting then it makes sense to me for all to take that month BEFORE visiting any recruiter to prepare for the ASVAB. The ASVAB has become a "military resume" just to get into the service. But, people can not see that. One prepares a resume - has a personal interview - when they apply for a civilian job. So, why not do the same for a military job?

Do you go take a driver's behind-the-wheel test cold without having driven a car in high school driver's education for weeks before you can even go for your license? No. You practice for the test. Same for entering the military.

Now, obviously, you are one of the smart people who can breeze through life without much preparation. Great for you. However, are you willing to "risk" ta