Did you take the ASVAB test "COLD" or did you buy a study book & study it for 30 days before taking the test?

Did you purchase an ASVAB study book and worked it cover to cover before taking this test?

OR: Did you take it COLD?

If you don't score above 50% on the AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test) you might be sent back home to study for a month before they will let you retest.

So, you are better off - taking the MONTH to study up BEFORE you take it the first time.

And, if you miss the mark the 2nd time - you have to wait 6 months before they will let you retest for a 3rd time.

Now, go to the book store at the mall or strip mall and for $20 bucks buy one of the 5 published copies of the ASVAB work book. IF you do 15 pages a day from the 450 page book you can finish in 30 days.

THEN, go test. You do NOT do yourself any favors by taking the test COLD if you have not bought the ASVAB study book and worked it cover to cover. That book is the "MILITARY RESUME" to even be IN the service and to qualify for any job that his 9 ASVAB Line Scores qualify for.

NO ONE should EVER visit a recruiter UNTIL he/she has worked the ASVAB study book. NEVER.

The official ASVAB test is 3 hours long. In sections. You get about 1 minute a question. That's why you NEED to pre-study. And, your best girl/guy friend can help you by giving you the "timed" practice tests from the book to make sure you don't CHEAT. That's the only way you can learn to take the test under pressure.

For the Air Force and Marines they want a 50% AFQT score to even start any paperwork. The Army and Navy might take a little less. But, you should not take the test COLD. NEVER.

The Service will always be there. In fact, you will have to wait up to 12 months anyway in the DEP (Delayed Enlistment Program) just to get shipped out to basic training. 8 months wait seems usual today from what people write in about. So, why NOT take a fresh month to study. At this point on the calendar you are never going to go in the military before Christmas anyway. In fact, it might be until next April - May 2012 before you get the call to report.

Best wishes,

Larry Smith

Senior Master Sergeant, USAF (Ret.)

First Sergeant

Previous military experience of 27 years: 1961 – 1989

Illinois Probation Officer of 12 years: 1989 - 2001

A.A. Liberal Arts: Chapman University: 1978

A.A.S. Ground Radar Technology: Community College of the Air Force: 1978

B.S. Government and Political Thought; University of Maryland; 1982

Graduate Studies: Public Administration: Governors State University: 1993

Thanks, everybody. It is nice to see that we have "smart" people who can get a high score with little ease.

But, based on the folks that lament here and got low scores, I will vote for the majority to be like Dena K. and Tema. Because they knew little about what was on the ASVAB before the took the "official" test, they didn't enjoy their military experience. Had they devoted a month to study and a $20 Alexander Hamilton for the book, I am quite sure they would have improved their scores!

If you go to college without practicing the ACT or SAT book then you are hampering yourself equally like not taking the ASVAB book and working it FIRST for the military. You don't know if you are even going to get a job out of college. But, you darn well know that you are getting a military job that pays you a salary just be enlisting. And, you don't even have to pay for the training!

Sure the recruiter's little pop quiz is easy. He/She wants a quota. And, it makes no difference to them i

I never took the ASVAB. The ASVAB came into being in 1968. I entered the Air Force in 1961. All branches of the service adopted it in 1976. I believe I took "some kind of test" but, I can't remember what it was after 50 years ago!

@ akluis. You sound like an angry person.

The reason for my initial question is because so many people who get a score below 50% on the AFQT contact me about what to do to improve their scores for the retest. If one has to take another month before retesting then it makes sense to me for all to take that month BEFORE visiting any recruiter to prepare for the ASVAB. The ASVAB has become a "military resume" just to get into the service. But, people can not see that. One prepares a resume - has a personal interview - when they apply for a civilian job. So, why not do the same for a military job?

Do you go take a driver's behind-the-wheel test cold without having driven a car in high school driver's education for weeks before you can even go for your license? No. You practice for the test. Same for entering the military.

Now, obviously, you are one of the smart people who can breeze through life without much preparation. Great for you. However, are you willing to "risk" ta

Favorite Answer

did it cold so cold it had been 15 years since i had last taken a graded test. and still got a 74 and that was good enough for a 20K bonus.

Correct me if I am wrong Larry, but at the time you and I took the ASVAB, there was no such thing as a pre-test. Why? It wasn't needed. When we went to school, we actually LEARNED something. Nothing against Dena K or folks like her, but in my opinion, our great society has created the situation where a so called high school graduate cannot pass the ASVAB.

One example of this is the "no child left behind" program. Many school districts are so "poor" in the ability to educate, that they actually teach test instead of getting the students to understand the material. So does studying to take the ASVAB really do you any better. Yes, it may get you into the military, but should you even be there in the MOS/AFSC you get because you studied?

I ask because no one has done any study on how successful someone is who studied for the ASVAB before taking it and someone who didn't, but got a similar score and MOS/AFSC awarded because of those scores. As much as we like to believe so, numbers aren't the whole story. The reason is, it is an APTITUDE test. Your potential for understanding that material; not whether you know all about it already.

However, I will agree for those who were in school systems or due to personal circumstance may not have had exposure to some of the subjects that are on the test, that the study does help them because we would never know their potential without the exposure. In other words, we don't know what we don't know or have the ability to learn. Again, numbers can be misleading....as in Dena's case. There is no way the ASVAB can measure the aptitude of someone who has not seen or heard of a subject.

Incidentally, I did not study and my lowest score was in Admin area (95), because I was in a good high school and paid attention. I got a 98 on the other sections. I also got a 31 on the ACT and a 1300 on the SAT and was awarded an AFROTC scholarship. I did not study for those tests either.

BTW, you cannot study for the DLAB and that is a good thing....trust me on that.

It is unfortunate that our two income, day care raised society has create people who need "help" to pass the ASVAB. Many school systems are merely babysitting and can't teach anything. Also, due to budget, many programs that would introduce folks to more things such as auto shop, music, science fairs, etc, are cut. Next time you see someone lose their house to foreclosure, think about what the school system will lose in that district from the loss of tax revenue. It is all connected. We have done it to ourselves and sometimes I weep for the future. Off my soapbox.

Good question Larry!

• anthia

Asvab Training

• akluis

I see you are trying to diss those who did not study and simply took the test then got good scores.

I took it cold

I was ABOUT to say something similar about 'just take the test, it's not that hard' until I saw this comment.

Regardless of how behind-hurt you get by smart people, the truth of the matter is that MOST people take the test cold, so for the test to be any sort of meaningful measuring tool of ability, EVERYONE should take it cold.

This is because a 51 from someone who took it cold is really a better result than a 52 from someone who studied for a month.

As far as the "if you go to college without practicing the ACT or SAT book then you are hampering yourself" that is a load of BS.

The better ACT or SAT score will matter only for what college you get into and to a degree what financial aid/scholarships you get. However studying to get high ACT/SAT scores will NOT impact how effective you are at college. Studying for your classes will. ACT/SAT is a way of determining how much information retained from all your various high school classes.

Similarly the only way the ASVAB scores would matter for how well you do in the military is if a low score prevents you from getting a desired MOS.

• Pete T

Heck Larry , it will be 42 years ago this November when I took that battery of test and I don't even recall if one of them was called ASVAB way back then . I do know I spent several hours in the recruiters office taking a whole slough of them . A couple of days later he drove to my house and said I was qualified to join the Army Security Agency and that a background check would be made while I was in basic training if I wanted to enlist. So, being as I had my induction notice in hand , I said , what the hell, let's go for it. Next day I was on a greyhound to Memphis and the Armed Forces Entrance and Examination station , I think they call it MEPS these days.

• Dena K

No, I took it cold because I was a naive little s**t. My recruiter gave me a pre-test that was so easy I could have done it asleep. It was very, very basic math and reading. He told me I would have no problem.

Well, lo and behold, I show up to take the test and there are 3 whole sections on electronics, mechanical comprehension and auto shop. My mother and father are blind. I did not know anything about cars. Nothing. I didn't have a clue what a catalytic converter was. I didn't even know how to drive. I totally and absolutely failed those sections but I still managed to get a high enough score to actually exceed the minimum.

So, I couldn't take the test over. Needless to say, not a lot of options were available to me in terms of my MOS and I ended up in a MOS that I absolutely hated for 4 years. I was trying to get out of that job in school but they wouldn't let me change it.

So, I agree with you 100% Learn from my mistake because 4 years is a very long time to be stuck in a MOS you hate and can't get out of.

Source(s): Former Marine
  • Mrsjvb

bull. DH was 28 and had been out of college for over 10 years. walked in cold, took it and scored a 99 as was at Boot camp in less than 30 days.

your education level or grades mean nothing.. it is you ABILITY TO LEARN that the ASVAB Gauges. and there are kids out there with the disadvantage of lousy schools and teachers that still managed to rock the ASVAB.

besides the ASVAB study guides are FREE at your local library. By all means go, refresh yourself with a few math formulas and verb conjugation, but there is not always a real need to spend a month on prep work.

• Tema

I studied before the test and recommend that ANYONE who is SERIOUS about getting a good score get one of these books and do the same. ASVAB for Dummies worked wonders for my score, and I strongly recommend that everyone else planning to get into any of the military branches get the right book for them. It's funny that the majority of respondents here have gotten great scores with no studying? I can assure you that they are the MINORITY and NOT the majority. If you want to ensure a good job and military opportunities, you'd best STUDY.

• ?

Get ASVAB Study Guides?

I just practice tests online, there are several sites that can help you with that. I'd take a few practice tests to get a feel for what they'll be testing you on and if you don't feel confident or don't score high on the practice test then buy the book.

Source(s): Army
  • Al

I took it both cold and a few years read the book and amazingly scored higher.